Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juro was kind enough to let me use both of his Atlantis models last October while fighting the wind and rain of hurricane Irene. I've been coveting one ever since.

I live in Seattle, and spend a lot of time on Puget Sound. I notice that the Spey Tracker is both a spey and over-hand rod--does that mean it's a two-hander for overhand, or am I lacking enough knowledge about spey rods and casting in general? My thought is that the spey tracker would make a great two-hander beach rod for cutthroat and silvers, then also be great for swinging streamers on the Yakima.

But then again, maybe I should wait for the rumored (even mythical?) Pacifica to come out....

Thanks for the input!

Tom

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
My thought is that the spey tracker would make a great two-hander beach rod for cutthroat and silvers, then also be great for swinging streamers on the Yakima.
In my opinion your thoughts are right on.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Mike's right on as usual. But there are two trackers and I'm sure you're talking about the 9'8" over/under style rod. The other is a 12'2" 5/6wt spey, not made for overhead casting per se but is a sweet little trout Spey that is lined correctly with the 5/6 windcutter and 8/9 Mach I Hardy. Ironically these two lines are good on the other Tracker as well for overhead/singlehand spey (double duty) but when casting overhead the range of compatible lines grows dramatically and you can cast many lines on the 9'8" overhead based on preferences.

BTW I wish the new DH lines were out for the Atlantis when you were visiting - they are as much a match for the two-handed overhead casting stroke as Spey lines are for Spey casting. You were rocking those shooting heads as I recall but the line design has really come into it's own for two-hand overhead casting now!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a pretty exciting proposition...it makes me wonder that if a Pacifica ever did come out, it wouldn't be very similar to the 9'8" Tracker....

So if I understand correctly, using either of the two line set-ups you mentioned, I can spey cast on rivers (utilizing the current for water-loading and the particular line belly/profile needed for spey casting), then unwind that same line at the beach, and cast it overhead, two-handed, like an Atlantis?

And also, in theory, the 8wt Rio multi-tip set-up I already own could work on the tracker for overhead casting, too?

And in terms of budget, I could simply buy more spools for my Ross Rhythm large-arbor and load them with the various spey or shooting head systems if I so choose (provided they have the correct capacity).

My understanding of spey lines themselves is lacking, and is probably worth an entire new thread in the newbie-type sections.

Thanks again!

BTW Juro, I won't make to the Cape this fall, but will likely be on the water in Maryland in Sept--I imagine there's all kinds of quarry there at that time of year!

Tom

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The 9'8" is definitely a multi-facted design but to be perfectly honest I believe it's multiple strengths are (a) river spey and (b) single overhead casting. It overhead casts just like a great singlehand rod and spey casts whether turbo (double hauled) single-hand spey or with spey two hands wonderfully as well. IMHO the applications include light/medium duty atlantic salmon fishing where the fishing requires upstream dries with bombers and also limited backcast spey fishing with wets; or trout applications where both are required from a single rod, etc. It's a great half-pounder rod, there are many applications for it in fact.

For me a rod with distinct double handed overhead (vs. single) has a different characteristics. The Pacifica would in fact be that, but it's still just my dream which I hope someday comes to life like it's brother the Atlantis. CND is going through a major growth change right now and once established who knows what lies in the future. Pretty exciting actually!

In any case the Versitip 8wt is a 38ft 260 grain head. I have mine matched with the 5/6 Windcutter (330 gr over 48.5ft) but shorter head == less grains so it could be a very good match. If one of the Rio dealers in my area have the line spooled up I will give it a try.

btw - bushel of blue crab, summer ales and maybe an Orioles game (although they are spankin' the M's this series :mad: ), Sept should have lots of bait around and probably some exotics (inshore tuna, king and spanish macs, weakfish, etc) along with the "rock" (striper) and ubiquitous bluefish. Try posting something over on the Forum's striper page and you might get a swap going. You've got a great card to play with the PNW thing, I can speak first hand to that ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe so, but props to Raffy!

I intend to visit River Run Anglers for a Saturday Day on the River and try me some CND rods. I definately see the advantage to having a trout spey--do you think the 6/7 tracker can handle summer steel, or would it make for too long a fight for the fish? I'll try some of the Custom and Expert rods, too.

Yes, the Maryland trip is about a wedding, but my brother-in-law has a house right on the water on the (or near the) East Shore (I think they call it). And a boat. Maybe I'll own an Atlantis by then!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Tom...

So if I understand correctly, using either of the two line set-ups you mentioned, I can spey cast on rivers (utilizing the current for water-loading and the particular line belly/profile needed for spey casting), then unwind that same line at the beach, and cast it overhead, two-handed, like an Atlantis?
In my opinion this is doable. The very best way to find out is to take some test drives. As to your 8wt VersiTip I'd take that along as well and see just how good it works.

While your looking there are some other great "trout speys" on the market now as well. You might check out the Snowbee 12' Torridge (optimal line load of 310grns) and the 12'6" Tamar (optimal line load of 370grns) as well as some of the Meiser rods or Gary Anderson rods. I hear Loomis has a nice "trout spey" also but I haven't seen it as yet.

I have been casting a Snowbee 12'6" Tamar of late with a Skagit line consiting of a 9/10/11 WC belly and some 8wt 12' single hand tips. Four piece for easy transport, top of the line fittings, lifetime warranty, and under $400.00usd. I think it spey casts and overhead casts great but the only way for you to know is to take a test drive on your water.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
G. Loomis "Trout Spey"

"I hear Loomis has a nice "trout spey" also but I haven't seen it as yet."

MJC - I have fished the Loomis Metolious Series 13' 4" "trout spey" 5/6 for two seasons and I can say it is a fine trout spey rod. It has a traditional full flex action and is easy to cast (maybe a good teaching rod?) and a Windcutter 5/6 is right on the money. I bought the "tips" version and it casts them very well. I have been nymphing with this rod with great results getting to places and catching fish a guy with a 9 footer can't touch.
I'm going to come over to the Clearwater with my friend john Yousko sometime in January when we get the first break in the cold weather - are you going to be around? Lawrence Stuemke

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Yes I will be here. I will be looking forward to a visit.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Brian.... tell me its not true :whoa:

That sweet little stick should not be allowed out of the car if those chum-beasties are any where near the water!!! :Eyecrazy:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Chief,

I thought there was no legal chum fishery on that river. Have you been fishing with your buddy D again?:tsk_tsk:

chief (retired)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts