Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I learn the spey techniques, could this rod be used as a single-hander for swinging traditional wets to 14"-16" trout in a large river? Or is it more of a steelhead rod? What type of action does this rod possess as far as overhead casting - fast, slow? Because of it's IM8 construction, I would imagine it to be very light and crisp. Please forgive me, but how would it function for indy fishing. If I wanted to use it overhead what type and weight (6?/7?/8?) of floating line should I use? I have never handled the CND sticks in person, but everything about them seems right: stealthy look, titanium tip, shape and quality of cork, hardcore heritige, price.

Tight lines and great hatches,
John

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Both Kush and I have tested them in those conditions and I would have to say it's absolutely a rod that can be used for traditional casting while also supporting spey casting with two hands using the extended handle when needed/desired. In fact at the Denver show some casters were putting the backing knot out with a Windcutter 5/6 on the rod while others were spey casting it on the pool. The only question is whether the 6/7/8 is a little more stout than you might want for trout fishing.

We have a 12'2" 5/6 spey tracker but it's truly a spey casting (not overhead) action rod. One of our 12'2" demos is in Kamchatka as we speak in the hands of one of the most proficient anglers on any river anywhere.

I would answer this way, if you are thinking of using 6wt or 7wt lines then it would be a good choice, for lighter lines like a 4wt or 5wt then it might be a bit stout for what your fishing situations call for.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
John,

I fished this rod for 12 days last month, I used it for lake rainbows and as an overhead rod. The line I cast was a standard weight forward SA XPS #6. I cast it single handed and using two hands as well - it is a rocket. The IM8 grahite really punches the line out there.

As for Juro's concern that it might be a little stout for trout - I guess that would apply to small stream trout. The fish I was playing with were Kamloops trout in lakes that ranged from 15" and 1 1/2 lbs up to 5 1/2 lbs all of which put a serious bend into the 9'8" rod. I don't have any qualms about recommending its use for trout of this size.

At the same time I think the rod can step up a class and be an excellent tool for the smaller sea-run fish - pink salmon and coho come to mind. This is a result of the progressive action that Nobuo has created with the CND rods. Like all of them the action allows smaller fish to show their stuff, yet when loaded more deeply the reserve power comes into play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts