Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to 'pull the trigger' and buy a 1307 custom when I started reading about the new Solstice series. Would someone who knows both rods give me a comparison. I don't mind spending the extra for the Solstice if there are definate quality differences. I would be interested in the 14'4" 7/8 Solstice as compared to the 1307. Thanks Bill

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Comparing the 13'4" Solstice to the 1307 would be a much more valid comparision then the 1307 versus the 14'3".

I have loved the 1307 since the first day I fished it but after spending the day with 13'4", I must say I like the Solstice a tad better.

The Solstice is light, seems to be a tad more responsive and has a more even even flex pattern. I believe the 1307 has a bit more punch in the tip however.

If you are after a light, quick but progressive rod that generates a whole lot of line speed without losing any finesse, the Solstice would be your choice. If I were fishing a shorter head with tips, I would lean towards the Custom as it seems to have more oomph in the upper half the rod.

Another thing to consider as well, the Solstice is spun from CND's IM8 absolutely bulletproof graphite...a graphite that also recovers amazingly quick. The Custom is spun from IM7 which is a great light, responsive graphite, however it is not nearly as durable as the IM8.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reply to NrthFrk16

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Would you use a 7/8 mid-spey on the Solstice? I occasionally like to use light poly leaders, i.e. intermediate to type 3 in my summer fishing with leach patterns but mostly dry line. I obviously want a light rod but not so light that wind is a major hurdle. That is why I was thinking of the 14' model that is designated a 7/8. Bill

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Juro was telling me he was kicking the 7/8 Midspey to the backing knot with the 13'4" Solstice but he did mention it felt a little heavy and found the 6/7 SA Mid Head a better bet (but still a tad heavy). Given that I think the 6/7 Long Delta or 6/7 Midspey would be about perfect. I absolutely love the SA 6/7 Short Head on the rod.

I loved the 14'3" as well but found it to be much more of an 8 then a 7. And because I tend to like lighter, shorter rods, the 13'4" is just about perfect! btw-The 13'4" handled the wind without a problem, just like its cousin, the 1307 Custom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts