Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I have received CND Solstice 14’3” 7/8/9 and 13’4” 6/7/8.
While 14’3” has still plastic wrap on the grip and was cast only with a grass leader, 13’4” has already caught two nice steelheads. The 6/7/8 has truly exceeded my high expectations. Dream with 6/7 Rio MidSpey , 6/7/8 WindCuter with T-3 tip cast very well too.
Another interesting combination is WindCutter 6/7/8 with 12’ Rio Powerflex leader ( 24lb) in 5.6” and 7” per sec sinking rate in place of the tip 1. Weight of this leader are 86 and 98 gr. respectively; witch is very close to 95gr. of original wt. 7 tip.
Both leaders are noticeable thinner and 3’ shorter then the original tip, which allow them to cut through water like a knife.

The 13’4” is nothing but stiff, has a light speed recovery rate and very, very sweet progressive feel.

I hope to give report on 14’3” hopefully in the near future.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
13' 4" 6/7/8

Yesterday at the Kaufmann's Spey Days, I had a chance to test-cast this rod. I'm in love!

The reel was unlabeled, but the line appeared to be a Rio Midspey, size unknown. It was easy to pick up and recast the head and rear taper repeatedly, and to shoot 20-25 feet of running line whenever I felt like it. This while teetering on slick rocks, thigh-deep. What I doubt I can convey is the absolute sweet-natured, eager-to-please attitude of this featherweight charmer. A more ideal summer steelhead rod for small to average streams, I can't imagine. I tend to favor long rods for heavier lines, but there are more streams where this spey rod would be a perfect fit than giants like my beloved Skagit River.

·
Registered
112 Posts
13' 4" 6/7/8

I cast this rod at Aaron's Day on the River Saturday. The line I was using was the 6/7 Midspey. It's sweet. I'm going to take it out fishing some morning next week.

Nobuo put on his demonstration today at Kaufmann's Spey days using the very same rod. Amazing! :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I took the Solstice 13’4” 6/7/8 w/Midspey 6/7 out fishing today. Half way to the river, I realized that I forgot my wading jacket at home. No big deal, except my fly box, tippet, nippers, etc., were in my jacket. Luckily, I had tied up a leader with a healthy length of tippet, so that wasn't a problem.

When I got to the river, I dug around in my car. I found a beat up white rabbit leech, and luckily, an unfished orange marabou #2. Whew! Tied on the orange marabou.

I fished my way down a run into a tailout. I experimented with the switch cast and the double spey. These seemed to work pretty well, so I decided to try a couple of new casts I've seen, but never tried (now, don't laugh!). I tried the snap-t and the circle cast. I was amazed at how little effort it took to move the line with the Solstice. I'm a believer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts