Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a 6/7 Sci Angler short head. One word...WOW!!!

Had to be the most effortless casting spey rod I've ever thrown. Couldn't belive how much line the rod could shoot for such a light spey. This will be a tremendous rod for the Great Lakes and smaller western streams. Will definately be a great rod for the medium sized rivers when we go to Newfoundland next year. Great Job Nobuo!

Andrew
Tight Lines Fly Shop
Pine Brook, NJ
973-244-5990

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
How about the long belly?

Some friends and I were thinking a while back what a great rod a scaled down Skagit rod would be. Say a near 14' 7 wt with the feel of the Skagit, which, by the way, is a great rod with a long belly line. Is the Solstice similar in action? Anyone throwing a long line on em?

·
Registered
344 Posts
cnd

The only CND I have fished with is the Expert 1306. I did not like it. But I am looking to buy a 6 (or 6/7) wt rod in the next few weeks. How is this rod in comparison to the Expert 1306?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey drbfish...

You should try the CND 1307SP Custom. It is faster then the Expert and might fit your requirements better.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
drbfish said:
The only CND I have fished with is the Expert 1306. I did not like it. But I am looking to buy a 6 (or 6/7) wt rod in the next few weeks. How is this rod in comparison to the Expert 1306?
The 1306 is an IM6 traditional soft-action trout rod, softest of the 24 models of two handers. It casts well with a 5/6 Windcutter, or an 8/9 Mach I Hardy Salmon line (not the MI+). It's a deal at $295 for someone looking for a half-pounder, shad, or large trout Spey casting tool.

The Solstice 13'4" 6/7 is a beast of another color, literally. It's IM8 graphite is a new application of this exclusive material in a new niche in the CND lineup. This rod and casts the Windcutter 6/7/8, Midspey 6/7, Delta 6/7 or SA Short 6/7 with authority and can handle 7/8 lines. It has been used to land fish nearing the 20# mark in Russia, and is a true summer steelhead and atlantic salmon rod whereby the Expert 6/7 was designed to be a trout/half-pounder rod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy the CND Solstice 6/7/8

drbfish,

The Solstice 13' 6/7/8 weight is a whole other animal then the Expert 6/7. It has much more power, but feels like a single hand rod it's so light. The solstice has alot more hidden or reserved power, that the Expert doesn't have. It is an unbelieveable casting rod, and one that I can highly reccomend. It's easy for beginners to learn on and good casters will make the rod look like it was built on another planet. The cosmetics of the rod are top notch as well. The cork, reel seat, IM8 hunter green blank, and finish work are all tremendous. In thigh deep water with a 6/7 short head Sci Angler we were close to the backing knot with a Single Spey, Double spey, Snap T, and Spiral roll. I can say that it is a funominal rod that far exceded my expectations which were already high from the other quality rods CND puts out.

Andrew
Tight Lines Fly Shop
Pine Brook, NJ
973-244-5990

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Moose,

My 13'4" Solstice got mixed up while packing up the pile of rods we had at Denver and it ended up in Boston with Juro. As a result I didn't get to test it on my Clearwater trip. However, I used the 14'3" and 15'2" - both with long bellies and they were sweet.

I used a 7/8 Airflo Traditional and a #8 Sturndriver (Dana's light version of a Derek Brown Speydriver - an extreme long belly line). Both rods were great with them. I really liked the Traditional on the 14'3" ( too bad Airflo is dropping them from the line up) and I can't wait to try a 7/8 Grandspey on the rods.

BTW, when Juro finally parts with my 13'4" Solstice I will get that out with some long bellies as well!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
What 13'4"? :lildevl: :lildevl:

If UPS was not closed today it would already be in a brown plane flying west.

·
Registered
13 Posts
13'4"

Hi tyler-san,

It seems that your 13'4" end up with my rod case!
I just noticed I have two of them :chuckle:
Do you want it back?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Solstice 13'4" 6/7/8

I was so impressed with this rod I had to buy one. It is AWESOME so smooth and yet so powerful. I can't say enough about how wonderful this rod cast, I have a CND 1308 which is a fine rod in comparison.

I was able to check this rod out from River Run Anglers (Aaron Riemer), the joy of casting the rod was only out matched by the 28" steelhead I hooked :Eyecrazy: :smokin:

Yeah baby!

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Red Shed Fly Shop

I highly getting in touch with Mike at www.redshedflyshop.com (site sponsor) and he will be able to get you squared away with the solstice you are looking for.
Chris

P.S. His service is the best in the business.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts