Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CND Solstice on the way and I was interested to hear from others about this rod & What lines others feel match up with it well. Does it handle tips? Thanks - Lawrence Stuemke

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
It will handle tips if you throw a skagit line on it. Does very well with the skagit 450 (actually really well). Was surprised at how large of flies one can toss on this setup.

-sean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Solstice 13'4"

This rod works awesome with the Skagit 450 with tips. For summer fishing I use a SA Shorthead 7/8.

My favorite Spey Rod BTW!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I second the motions re tips - I used up to 9' of T-14 and big Intruders on a Skagit set-up.

For dry lines I really like the new CND 6/7. I also used the Beulah 625 gr line and liked it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
s/a and skagit

I've chopped a SA shorthead 6/7 and use 15' RIO 8wt (109 grain) tips. Works well even up to the type 8.

As mentioned the Rio 7/8 skagit also works well. Although, I still can't quit get the hang of the continuous load/motion and sustained anchor cast.

Looking forward to the new CND long belly. When and where can I get one in Canada?

Cheers,
Preston

·
Ichthys
101 Posts
CND lines are available in Canada at Angler's West and Michael & Young's Fly Shop. For contact information go to www.cndspeyusa.com and click the button for the dealer list. I'm shipping their lines (in baggies) and they'll have them by week's end or early next week.

The response to these lines has been terrific. Gee - I just picked them up Monday, I'm shipping in baggies, and I'm shipping and packing as fast as I can.
I LOVE IT!!! Thank you Spey Underground. :chuckle:

Cheers,

Nancy

·
Banned
974 Posts
Has anyone used it a WC or Delta 6/7 with tips with this rod? I have two floaters for it and want some tips but am not comfortable enough with my casting with tips to add the Skagit style to my bag of tricks yet.

David

·
Banned
501 Posts
If chopped SA short head 6/7 used with 15' RIO 8wt (109 grain) tip works ( as indicated earlier) I don't see any reason why WC or Delta would be so different. They all have similar profile and grain.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I have been using the Rio Skagit 450 with the 109gr Rio tips on this rod. I love it! :smokin:

I'll have to give the CND lines a go.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the ideas!

Thanks for all the great info in lines for this rod! - Thanks Lawrence

1 - 12 of 12 Posts