Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject line says. Just came across this now as the european CND website seems to have come to life. Have you ever seen or tried this rod? I take it this is a Japanese Cherry Salmon rod (ala Meiser's 15'9" Highlander 4/5/6)

Long rod for lighter long belly lines but fun with smaller fish. That would be a good recipe here in Ontario.

Any thoughts or insights appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Preston

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No, but would trade my left nut for one!! :Eyecrazy: :chuckle::saeek: :hihi:

·
Registered
519 Posts
16'6" cnd

Maybe, just maybe, they'll make another stab at the North American market.
It does indeed sound like another long rod for light lines- a totally undeveloped niche in the spey world except for Meiz's 15'9" Highlander.
It would be a great option here in the great lakes.
We can only hope...

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have one but I havent fished it yeat.

The lines I tried is CND GPS #8-9 and Carron 65' #8-9
They were both a bit Heavy for my liking but I dont have any lighter spey line ,

Its a wonderful rod , It makes me smile wen put it together and wobbel it

Maybe I will newer fish it but Im sure I will ceep it.

Johan

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great to find an owner!

Ozzy, do you have a CND GPS 7/8 line? That would likely be the right choice. Or maybe even the 6/7 GPS.

If this is a true 7/8 16'6" rod this is wonderful news.

Please keep us updated on how you find the rod.

Thanks,
Preston

I have one but I havent fished it yeat.

The lines I tried is CND GPS #8-9 and Carron 65' #8-9
They were both a bit Heavy for my liking but I dont have any lighter spey line ,

Its a wonderful rod , It makes me smile wen put it together and wobbel it

Maybe I will newer fish it but Im sure I will ceep it.

Johan

·
Registered
50 Posts
The GPS #7-8 would probably be a good match but I dont have one
Only all of the heavier ones :)

A friend of mine did fish a Guideline 3D #8-9 I-S2-S4 on Gaula in June with his Kazuta
and it looked great . If I remember right he did fish the GPS #8-9 with it too
that time so that line are not too Heavy , only a bit Heavy for my liking.

Light long full floaters for low water conditions is wath I would use it foreven if it works for sinkers

Johan

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
Interesting thread, though the GL tribs I fish require a 7 or 8 weight there is one specific river a fish that is insanely wide and the average steelhead is 3-5lbs. A 15' 9" 4/5/6 would be AWESOME for this application. I currently use a 5126 on this fishery and it works good, but doesn't carry long lines particularly well. Is mieser the only guy making a light long DH?

·
Registered
50 Posts
No thenewlushlife Meiser is not the only one making a light long DH

CND makes two noodels 15'6" #4/5/6 and 16'6" 5/6/7/8

·
Registered
945 Posts
Gary Anderson (ACR) makes a 1505. Should be a super sweet stick.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone have this rod? Very curious what it's like. Gary's website talks about scandi and skagit heads...neither of which I would use on a rod of this length. How does it like longer lines?

Gary Anderson (ACR) makes a 1505. Should be a super sweet stick.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I too am very curious about the Anderson (ACR) 1505, and what longer lines are available for this rod. I'd want something in the 50+ foot range.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Aren't we talking about CND rods...?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the new 1 Spey rods from CND? Has anyone tried to get one direct from Nobuo in Japan? :roll:

thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've been looking for longer 5wt lines myself. I know Rio used to make a Powerspey in a 5 wt and there was an XLT in 5 wt as well. There is a Vector XL 5/6 but it's still pretty short for a 15' stick. Rio Steelhead taper might be just the ticket without any modifications. Seems like there might be some single hand lines that could work, especially if you cut off and reverse the heads. If you look at the tapers of some of the single hand lines in reverse it opens up a whole world of possibilities for double hand lines.

This topic is especially interesting to me as Steve Godshall can make a 15' conversion for my ACR Nova 1215-4. I already have the turbo tip Steve made and the 15' conversion would make it even more versatile. Would kick ass with a DT. I've been playing around with a DT on my Nova and both tips and it works pretty well out to about 60' to 70'.

CT

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been looking for longer 5wt lines myself. I know Rio used to make a Powerspey in a 5 wt and there was an XLT in 5 wt as well. There is a Vector XL 5/6 but it's still pretty short for a 15' stick. Rio Steelhead taper might be just the ticket without any modifications. Seems like there might be some single hand lines that could work, especially if you cut off and reverse the heads. If you look at the tapers of some of the single hand lines in reverse it opens up a whole world of possibilities for double hand lines.

This topic is especially interesting to me as Steve Godshall can make a 15' conversion for my ACR Nova 1215-4. I already have the turbo tip Steve made and the 15' conversion would make it even more versatile. Would kick ass with a DT. I've been playing around with a DT on my Nova and both tips and it works pretty well out to about 60' to 70'.

CT
So now I REALLY need to talk to Steve!

briansII

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Meiser Highlander 16 ft, five piece, 5/6/7 weight. It casts really well with CND GPS 7/8 or Nextcast FF 6/7 and 7/8. Ian Gordon 7/8 is also good. The IG line has a head of almost 70 feet and about 480 grains.😊

1 - 15 of 15 Posts