Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some talk on this forum of the new CND trout rods. I am intrigued if anyone has experience with the current 'trout rod' the CND 13' 6/7. I know this rod probably can/was designed to be used for summer steelhead, but sure looks like it could be a great nymphing/streamer rod for trout. My current 'trout rod' is the Scott ARC 6wt/11'9"(mine has an extended butt of 3" to make it a 12 footer) which is a great trout streamer rod. How have you lined the Expert CND 6/7?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Nice rod!

I own this rod and it is a nice little rod. It is a slightly soft, progressive rod that casts a windcutter 5/6 nicely. It casts very, very well when the cast is executed with the proper stroke and no excess power is applied and you just let the rod do it's thing. Where this rod falls slightly short is that it does not like that extra power kick at the end of the stroke, as it tends to open the loop and you don't really get the extra distance from it. But to be fair, if you just stroke the rod you get 60 feet (plus leader) and that's probably enough for most trouting situations. Throws 10 foot sinking poly leaders and moderatley weighted flies with ease. Have a modified 6/7 midspey (slightly shortened belly) that casts very nicely, and a friend has a cut back 6/7 XLT that is a sweetheart on this rod.

I do want a lighter, crisper trouter (Speytracker 12' 5wt please!!) but to be honest, there's still a place in my quiver for the 6/7 Expert. I had thought I may sell it once I get a Speytracker, but then I took it out to the Sacramento Clave yesterday and fished Shad in the morning before anyone showed up and I just really like this rod. It is light,very easy to cast and throws a lovely line when allowed to do it's thing.A friend of mine (Hseih here on the board) is building his own lines and took it for a couple of hours to experiment, passing the rod around with his line and lots of folks seemed to like it. And how in the heck can you beat it at just under $300

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Clyde...

I know of one 1306 that is being used very happily to fish for tailwater trout in some southern states.
A search on the forum using Expert 1306 will turn up some comments.
As Moose said the WC 5/6 is a great line for this rod. The Hardy Mach 1 8/9 also is a line to try.
The very best way to find out if the 1306 will work for you is to go to your CND dealer and take one for a test drive. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Clyde,

I used a pair of 13' 6/7 Customs for trout in BC's interior lakes last season and so far this season. While fishing from a boat and not spey casting (no need) they are in fact great to fish. As Moose says the soft progressive action is wonderful so long as you don't try to "muscle" it, let the rod do the work and it is a pleasure.

As a fish fighting tool it surprised me last season by being a blast with trout. The lake I fish is famous for its large (4 lb+) trout, it is not surprising that these fish put a serious bend in the 1306. However, the smaller 14-15" trout also flexed it down into the cork. I too am waiting for my 12'2" Spey Tracker, but the 1306 Custom is a bona fide trout rod.

Clyde, did you make it out to the PNW this past spring?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kush. I didn't and I did. I didn't get back to the Skagit where we first met, but did make it to the Grande Ronde for the first time in late October of last year fishing out of Troy with that terrific trio of ODonnell, McCune and Anderson. Will be going back there in November. I retire from practice in 23 days/ 12 hours, so happily will be able to get back to the PNW more often. Thanks, ya'all, for the comments.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Southern Expert 6/7

I am not sure if I am the Southerner referred to but I certainly fit the description.

My experiences with this (my first spey rod) are:

At first I threw it with a Midspey 6/7 as that was what Rio recommended and I wanted the longer belly. After snapping the rod I realized that was a mistake. *G* Juro hooked me up with a quick fix and the great guys at Rio swapped my line since I had followed their recommendation (a really unexpected great piece of customer service.)

The Windcutter 5/6 seems to be the line for this rod. Please understand that I am no great shakes at spey casting, but I am I guess what you'd call a good single hand caster. I bought the spey rod to break my single hand distances and reach out, and while that hasn't exactly happened, I have thrown the line over 90', which is about right where I average on my five weight distance casts unless I'm on pavement. Of course, since I have only had the time to work out a basic switch cast, I am not really the guy to ask about the rod's performance with a double spey or any of the trick casts you guys do so well. Man I need a lesson.

At any rate I love the rod. I stuck a Ross Canyon BG 4 on it and I regularly nymph with it. This spring I landed an 18" rainbow from 100' away on 6x tippet- and that would be flat out impossible with a one hander. I consider that one of the all time highlights of my fishing, it was such a blast.

Last weekend I spent six hours sunburning my bald head to a crisp swinging the spey rod out of my one man pontoon boat- that is a great application for this rod. You can easily pick up and reach 80' or more and the rod is so long you can control drifts almost forever.

I left a bunch of pictures up here: http://p218.ezboard.com/fflyfishingtodayfrm7.showMessage?topicID=1297.topic

Don't know if that will work but hopefully it will go through. The rod has amazing cork for the low-price lineup, a very serviceable seat, and is overall very good looking. Based solely on single hand tapers I would call it medium action with a a softer section in the middle for a true mid-flex with some additional stiffness in the tip top. If this was a single hander I would call it parabolic and compare it to the old St. Croix Legend Ultra taper: I believe you guys would call it a traditional spey action.

Zach

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Zach

Take that Midspey line and cut it 15 feet from the tip (which will put you into the belly section) and then remove 8 feet of belly from the point where you cut it. Attach braided loops to the remaining main line and the 15 foot tip and you will have a midspey with a weight that works with the 1306. If you want a sink tip you remove the floating tip and loop on a 12 foot sinking poly leader. A friend of mine did this for his Sage 5120 and when I tried it on my 1306 I immediately bought the line from him. It is my go to line for this rod. You can throw the whole line line and shoot plenty and it does not overload the rod.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Thanks

Nice, thanks, Moose.

Zach

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Zach -

Your camera takes some dandy photos! What make and model - digital?

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Thanks, Juro.

Surprisingly, it is an older Fuji FinePix 40i, a model with a 4.0 megapixel lense (theoretically) but only like 2.3 megapixel storage. I think when this one came out the main issue was the memory write speed. The best thing about this camera is its size - a 4 inch square, only 3/4 in. thick. I keep it in my waders
pocket. Discontinued and on eBay for under $200, but it was $600 when I got mine. I am from Wal-Mart home territory and it was a gift from a vendor's display stock for the golf course staff I worked on at the time. Nice gift.

I am waiting for the 8 megapixel models to come out in prosumer form (8 megapixels is supposedly the 35mm equivalent), but even then I will keep this one in service as long as possible as it is so darn convenient.

My profile doesn't seem to reflect it but I am now in Law School at the University of Tennessee over in Knoxville. The river shown is the Clinch, nearby.

Zach

1 - 10 of 10 Posts