Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a CND Expert 13ft 6/7, not because I need a rod that light, but it was on sale, and who can resist a rod on sale? I have been scouring the web and finding many different line recs. for it, from all ends of the spectrum. I'll probably be fishing trout on the Mo in MI with it. I have been thinking a 6/7 Mid Spey w/ tips. Anybody else fish this rod, if so what do you use and why?

Jamey

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Jamey...

The sweetest casting line on that rod is a WindCutter 5/6. If I was going to use a 6/7 MidSpey I would modify it as Moose described a couple of threads back.

Quote from Moose, "Take that Midspey line and cut it 15 feet from the tip (which will put you into the belly section) and then remove 8 feet of belly from the point where you cut it. Attach braided loops to the remaining main line and the 15 foot tip and you will have a midspey with a weight that works with the 1306. If you want a sink tip you remove the floating tip and loop on a 12 foot sinking poly leader. A friend of mine did this for his Sage 5120 and when I tried it on my 1306 I immediately bought the line from him. It is my go to line for this rod. You can throw the whole line line and shoot plenty and it does not overload the rod".

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Mike's right on with the 5/6 WC. Can't go wrong with that line on the rod for easy spey casting.

Another very sweet line for that rod is the Hardy Mach I 8/9. I've tried and really like the one that has a shorter head length, but have not tried the longer heads they have since come out with.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Midspey wrong

I would also like to add my voice to the mix saying the Midspey is wrong for it. I actually snapped mine under too much load trying to pick up almost the whole length of the Midspey head. This was clearly angler error but I think it shows how close to the limit you push the rod even under normal use with that line. The backwards swoop I was using was nice and slow and the error was in not knowing how much bend a spey rod should take rather than in any sudden motions.

Zach

1 - 4 of 4 Posts