Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Wondering if I could drum up some help from a few of you. I just purchased a CND expert 1308 as a back-up/wife rod. I currently fish Meiser's and GLX's...I have been most happy with Bob's rods to date.

As a back-up, what am I in for? Is this a user friendly/forgiving rod that my wife can handle? Is the action more of a traditional feel?

Let me know what you think. Any help will do. I have not handled one and I just picked it up on eBay. If it isn't what I want I'll post it here first.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
In my opinion you have purchased a great rod. I believe the Expert series is one of Nobuo's greatest designs. This is a traditional action that is very easy casting. I like the 6/7 Delta or a 6/7/8 WC the best. If you wife is new to spey casting she might like a 7/8 better. For the Expert series I believe Simon's line recommendations are right on.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
The expert series is definitely not like the GLX or any Meiser stick I've tried, but it is a nice rod and may be just the ticket for your wife. The Expert is a slower, deeper flexing rod that allows a lot of feel right down to the cork and for a new caster I think that's good, you can really feel what's going on. I owned 2 of these rods (1306, 1409) when I first got into spey casting and I'm glad I chose them. There's plenty of power there but the stroke must be a bit relaxed and you don't really want to punch the rod (like I said, she'll probably like this, you don't have to work hard and the timing isn't terribly critical). For a day of comfortable casting at all but the longest distances it's a sweet stick. Give it a fair shake when you get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts