Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a new rod. I have been casting the St. Croix 13' 7/8 for about a year and a half now. I like the overall feel of the rod. As my casting progresses however, I feel that a bit more power would be nice.

I have been using a Windcutter interchangeable tip line (7/8/9 and 8/9/10) and have found it to be just right for the fishing that I do. I use the floating , intermediate, and type 3 tips most often. I use the type 6 tip during periods of high water. At this point in my casting career my most used casts are the snap-t and the double spey.

I have narrowed my choices down to the CND custom series and the Fly Logic rods.

I have not yet had oppurtunity to cast the CND customs, but by reputation they seem worthy of serious consideration. I have heard that they perform well with a wide variety of casting styles and lines.

I have cast the Fly Logic rods, but it has been a while...I remember them having a traditional feel (which I like) but with more reserve power and a faster tip than the St. Croix. Also, I know that this line of rods was designed using the Windcutter, my line of choice. Seems like a good bet to me.

For those of you familiar with these rods, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on which rod you think would suit me better based on the above information.

Thanks for your help.

River Rat

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey River Rat...

What part of the Great Lakes Tribs are you fishing? If you would like to test drive a CND 1308SP Custom send me a PM.
Take care, MJC

·
Registered
267 Posts
CND CUSTOM 1307 SP

I recently purchased this rod and have been very impressed with it so far. I am fishing a WC line on it at this point and plan on buying a MS for here in the near future. I cant compare this rod to the fly logic as I have never had the chance to try one. But compared to the St Croix the CND custom rods are much lighter and I prefer the action of the CND to the ST Croix. The custom line would be a little faster action than the St Croix and considerably lighter in the hand. I am sure people are sick of hearing me say this but I have not found a rod in this price range that compares to the CND line of rods. If you are in the WI area of the great lakes send me a PM and maybe we can hook up and you can give the CND rod a try.:D

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Which flylogic? I recently traded my old (old old old) sage 9140-4 for the fly logic 1409 and have never been happier with an addition to my rod arsenal. It kicks the you know out of the sage traditional.

Okay, I've been happier but it's an awesome rod with a ton of power! I've cast the 1308 flylogic and love that one too.

Never cast the 7 but I hear it's consistent with the others, except the 9 might be a touch faster.

This is a case where I would let casting feel (your preference) and cost be my guide. I personally prefer the flylogic to the CND custom, but only by about $50. Last time I checked the Flylogics were $200 to $300 more :hehe:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Philster,

The Fly Logic 1307's action is grossly different than the 1308 or the 1409. I owned the 7 and the 9 and have cast the 8. The 8 and the 9 are medium-fast, while the 7 is quite slow,

Speybum has a FLO 1307 lined up in his Carnation store for anyone interested in casting it and making a personal evaluation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Philster:

I was thinking of the 7wt. and the 8wt. The 7 for dry line applications mainly, but also lighter tips, and the 8 for all around, especially heavier tips.

Bob:

From your experience with the 7, do you consider it a dry line only rod, or will it handle tips as well? If yes to tips, what will it cast comfortably?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

River Rat

·
Registered
4 Posts
River Rat,

For what its worth, I've got a Fly Logic 1307 for sale in the classifieds, so I hope I don't sound too biased here. Regardless, I've been throwing the Long Delta 7/8 and have been quite pleased. It's a great dry line rod, but also does well with 5' and 10' poly leaders up to the super fast. The extra super fast are doable too, but not quite as smooth.

I really liked the WC 7/8/9 and Delta 7/8 on this rod when I was testing out lines, but I didn't try them with the tips so I can't give you much advice there.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, check out Dana's reviews on Speypages.com. As always, he's spot on. If you like the feel of a traditional action rod as I do, this is a sweet one and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck with the decision. It's getting tougher every year with all these great rods and good deals showing up.

-Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts