Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have surfed on various boards and checked the CND site and cannot find out if there is any differance in action between the custom & expert series - I assume the differances are mainly in the finish & hence the price?
I am looking for a rod that I can overhead cast with heads in the 400grain range for coho, but that can double as a rod to spey fish tips in the short to medium range without having to force the rod to load at short range - I am leaning towards the 1308 - any comments gents?
I have the Loop blue 8124 - it is a good overhead rod, but realy sucks at spey casting short distances - I find I have to get too much line out and work too hard to load this rod for short distances.
speydoc

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Speydoc,

The Custom is faster than the Expert, the former being IMG7 graphite while the latter is IMG6 graphite. For the use you describe I would pick the Custom Series. I think you will be very pleased with the Custom 1308SP. Speybum has a thread on using that rod with heads. I'll see if I can find it for you. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I'm not to smart on these things but I was told the difference in the rods is what the tips are made out of. The Expert is IM6 and the Custom is IM7. I have no idea what that all means except that I think that the IM7 is a little bit stiffer than the IM6. I hope this helps because beyond all this I'm just as lost as you are.

Jim

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
speydoc, Try this link.
Customhttp://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11671

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Speydoc,

The Expert and the Custom are made on the same mandrill, the only difference is the graphite. As MJC says the Expert is not as fast as the Custom. The components and finishing are identical on both rods, one of the comments commonly made about the Expert is that for a so-called entry level rod it is finished like a top of the line model. As well, the cork on the CNDs is as good as you will find anywhere and better than most.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kush,MJC
Thanks for the comments
peter-s-c
I have used the windcutter8910,91011 & the midspey89 - I prefer the later, but it still feels to much like hard work on this rod
speydoc

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MJC
I had seen that post in my surfing - of those of you that have cast it, would the 1307SP be too light to overhead cast 400grain heads?
Kush
When will blanks be available in B.C. for the custom series?
speydoc

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
The 1307SP is the Custom Series rod.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
speydoc -

I agree with Mike, the Custom 13' 8/9 (1308SP) is a great rod for what you describe. I have not tried a 400 grain short overhand line on it but this rod likes lines in the 525-575 grain for 50-65ft heads on spey lines for me, Windcutter 7/8/9 w. tips casts great; Midspey 7/8 as well. When you throw a shorter overhand style line the grains are so concentrated in 26'-30' that a 400 might load it just right, worth a try. I would really have to test this to know for sure. Are you talking about a deep-sea / quick descent / Teeny style 400 gr line?

As Kush says the Custom is made of a different material in a higher modulus (IM7). I really like them both as spey rods, each has a great casting feel due to the taper design. The 1308 Expert is a real sweetheart and I have a hard time talking negatively about it in any way. Just cast it and you'll see what I mean. It's the easiest rod to teach spey casting technique with IMHO, bar none. But in this case the tighter action and deeper reserves on the custom would win out for overhand casting.

Another difference is the finish is quite different with the Expert being a matte graphite finish and the Custom being a highly-polished emerald. Both have top grade cork and hardware is all fuji Sic, hard chrome snakes, ceramic tip guide.

If we get a break in the weather I will give the overhand lines a try on both and let you know what I think.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Speydoc,

The blank question is really one for Juro. As of now the blanks are not available.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Juro,Peter
Thanks for the comments - I have been using Bigboy 400g & ST12 heads(weight aproximately 380g) in intermediate,3ips & 6ips for coho on the Loop 8124
Kush
It is all about surply & demand - we cannot get the former without a bit of the latter
Does anyone have any comments on the Custom 13' 7/8 for the above aplication? too light? I have a Sage6126(brownie) and love it - it throws a Bigboy 300g & casts a midspey 6/7 perfectly - in essence I am looking for a slightly longer & heavier vertion of the 6126, but with the same action
speydoc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts