Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got on the water with my CND Custom 8/9. I put a custom built Skagit style line with a 23' belly and an 8 weight intermidiate tip on the rod. Took me about 10 or so casts to get the action of the rod down. From that point on 80 to 90 foot casts were made effortlessly. Could not make casts any longer because of the river I was fishing. The rod was smooth and threw the line nicely. The true test was a nice 5 to 6 pound summer run that choose to impale itself on my fly. The rod again showed it's worth. Handling the fight very well, allowing me to pressure the fish while still protecting the tippet. All in all I really like this CND Custom 8/9 and can't wait to try it on a larger river and put a winter run steelhead on it.

KLS

·
Registered
194 Posts
KerryS said:
Could not make casts any longer because of the river I was fishing.
You know, you could have backed up to the road and cast from there :)

So what river was this anyway?

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D loop,

The Ronde.

Saying the river was to small for me to cast any further then 80 feet is another way of me saying I had reach the limit of my casting ability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
cnd custom 8/9

. . . this is my 1st choice spey rod for pretty much everything not only because of its lightness and smoothness (which I like for ease of fishing all day long for multiple day trips), but for its size range i find the rod surprisingly powerful and willing when it comes to fishing bigger waters, although it suites my preferences just right for smaller to mid-size streams where an 80 foot cast of any type is plenty, especially if done consistently and cleanly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts