Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any comments on this rod?
I saw the review in the Speypages but I thought a might chum for some other input. Anyone? Anyone?

Liberty!
Birdog

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Birdog...

I sell them so you can factor my comments however you want. I think if you try one you will be very pleased. The very best way to find out is to take a test drive. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Test Drive

Unfortunately I don't believe anyone in Minnesota sells them let alone take one out to try.
What kind of feedback are you hearing from customers who have purchased any of their rods?
Thanks
Birdog

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Birdog...

Howdy,

I'm hearing very good feedback. At my shop the only rods that outsell the 1409SP are the Expert 1510 followed by the Expert 1409. There are several forum members that have these rods. I'm surprised no one has spoken up.
It doesn't matter to me if you are in Minnesota. If you want to take a test drive (which is really the only sure way to find what works for you) I can arrange it. I have sent you a PM.
Take care, MJC

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Birddog,

The 1409 Custom is a great rod. I don't own one but have fished one on a couple seperate occasions. It is the rod that I recommend to those looking for a mid-priced stick for winter fishing or for those that want one all around rod for both summer and winter runs.

sinktip

·
Registered
926 Posts
BD
I agree with sinktip. I recommended the 1409 Custom to a friend who wanted to learn speycasting. He had previously only used a single hander when we were in Russia and saw the advantages of the double. He bought it last year and I've since fished it. I think it would make a good summer/winter rod. My friend fishes it with a midspey. I've fished it with an 8/9 XLT. Great rod, especially for the price.
Bill

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Birdog,

If you like moderately stiff, moderately fast recovering, somewhat powerful rods that flex well down the blank under casting loads, you will like the rod. It is an excellent "progressive", more traditional, full flexing rod. If you like fast recoverying, stiff, powerful rods, you will probably not like it. It is a lot slower than the stiffer rods like the T&T 1409 or Loop Blue or Green Series 9140 rods. It is a great rod and a great value, just keep in mind that it is not a fast rod and is on the softer side of moderately stiff.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Birdog

I have one and I like it. I use “Skagit type lines” on it (short heads) its cannon. I’ve used SA Spey Short Head line (54 ft. head) it fly’s too. It’s an easy casting rod, it’s not fast action rod more medium-fast.

:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rod choice

Thanks for all the info fellas.:p
Birdog

·
Registered
646 Posts
Birdog,

I can not recommend the Red Shed Fly Shop (sponsor) highly enough. Their service and spey knowledge are second to none and they do honest business. In my opinion it is what a fly shop should be. Give them a call or send them an e mail and I guarantee they will get you taken care of!

Good Fishing!
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts