Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played with CND Custom 1308 and Rio Scandinavian Heads?
How well this rod works with SSH and what size was used?

Thanks
Martin

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I haven't tried the combination firsthand, but looking at the numbers it seems you'd have the option of the 7/8, the 8/9 or cutting back the 8/9. I'm not sure what the grain differences are between the floater and the intermediate/sinktip which is the one I have but that might play a role.

This rod is well liked by some of the hardest of the hardcore Skagit casters so as far working with a line in that length range (provided the grains match) I would suspect it's going to be a great fit.

I'll give it a try when I get the chance.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Juro

Get going on it!:devil:
NOW!:chuckle:

Where is my Decal!
My Hat!:chuckle:

·
Banned
161 Posts
Custom 1308 Skagit Sytle

I have not used the 1308 with Rio Scan Heads, but do have a Windcutter 10/11/12 cut back to 28'. It is an absolute rocket on this rod and a lot of fun to fish. I tried other short head lines on the rod (most were too light) and was not impressed. Once I really loaded it up, it became one of my favorite fishing tools.

Too bad it blew up recently! Juro, I want my rod back! Just kidding, I know you guys are working on it.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
JGS

Try SA WF-8/9-F Spey Short Head!:smokin:
Little heavy but works just fine.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Loop Adapted Heads

work very well. I have the 9-10 for 13' - 13'6" heads and they cast easily. I have cast both floating and intermediate sink heads.

Rich

·
1,771 Posts
I have heard the enthusiasm in the voices of people on the phone who've tried this combination and I am anxious to try this for myself.

The 1308SP is my all-around river rod and I have a hard time putting it away once I start a steelhead trip with it, summer or winter. It's light enough, yet tough enough at the same time. It's good in tight quarters too. A line that brings out the beast in reserve without making it feel dumpy or being too light is definitely going on my list!

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
sazan

Peter made a great chart on lines!

The Casting Weight Model, final version
550 grains 49ft. head

This chart will help everyone!
:smokin:

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Usually a longer head requires a little more grain to load the rod properly. Rio WC 8/9/10 has 585 gr. at 54.5’( 1’ tip, 6.5’ front taper, 10’ level, 15’ middle taper, 20’ body and 2’ rear taper) .
So in principles it should be a good line. For a floater tip to improve turnover( if someone needs to add short 7-10 ‘ polyleader, or use heavier fly) I could imagine front tip and part of front taper can be cut off (3.5’) resulting in 51’ head with about 570gr.
Any thoughts?

Juro what is your experience with 1308SP using 7/8/9 and 8/9/10 WC ?
My understanding is that in Mid-Spey category 7/8 is the line of choice.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
WindCutter 7/8/9 on CND 13' 8/9

I like the line on my CND. Of the lines I cave cast on the rod it is the one I prefer.

Rich

·
1,771 Posts
sazan said:
Juro what is your experience with 1308SP using 7/8/9 and 8/9/10 WC ?
My understanding is that in Mid-Spey category 7/8 is the line of choice.
Great combination on this rod, also on the Expert 13' 8/9 and you can't beat the WC with tips for practical sinktip fishing. I prefer it over the 8/9/10 personally because it reaches a very good load when the whole head is out there and even a bit of overhang. If the head is partly in the guides it still works real well, in fact the short game with this setup is really nice. The 8/9/10 might be better on the short game but for a crisp full head cast I like the 7/8/9 better and when you tune in the 15ft type 8 is a cinch to throw while shooting good amounts of running line behind it.

The reason I like the midlength on this rod (Long Delta, Midspey, Wulff, Carron, SA, etc) is more a matter of my preferred casting stroke. I just like to cast a 65-70ft head more than a 54-55ft head.

BUT when it's time to fish sinktips, fish with a strip (atlantics) or fish tight quarters I prefer the shorter headed spey lines for practical purposes.

Everyone has a casting style and where I've seen some guys do very well with a slight overload ratio I've also seen some throwing a fierce tight cast with a lighter line on the same rod. I think the best thing to do is understand the range of grains and head lengths for a rod and try them out for your own personal casting style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts