Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I'm suffering from that late winter border line depression, pent up, need a new stick part of the year. Trying to keep my hopes up with thoughts of the beautiful tanned goddesses wandering the beaches and peirs of Lake MI in the summer, and the shiny silver creatures swiming just off shore. Which brought me to the conclusion that I am now with out a stick for such pursuits(The silver shiny kind of pursuits).

So..... I got my new Kaufmanns catalog today and was looking at the 11ft1in 9/10 Atlantis, wondering if anybody out there is fishing one, and what sort of lines they are using, looking for length and weight. I plan to fish a shooting head on flat mono. Casting overhead. I also see this rod is only listed as being available in a 11/12 on the CND website, Kaufmanns lists it as being available in a 9/10 also.
Next question, is this rod overkill for salmon and steelhead in the Great Lakes, our summer run fish usually run a bit larger, 10lbs+ atleast, and are usually pretty moody when hooked.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I purchased the CND Atlantis 11'1" for 11wt and the CND Atlantis 11' for 9/10wt in late November.

Most of the casting / testing was with the 11wt to determine shooting head weights, my preference is approx. 550 grains at 40-42 ft length.

I have not had enough time to cast the 9/10 wt rod and fine tune the ideal line weight for my casting style. Initially a Cortland WF10I Big Game worked fine on the rod but the head was too short. I have a SA WF10F Steelhead taper line and a special order Cortland DT10I (blue color) line to test when the weather warms up. I will also cast some shooting heads, I have some older O***s 42ft intermediates in 10wt and 11wt. The 9/10wt Atlantis is a very light weight and smooth casting rod.

I am hoping Juro can talk CND into another Atlantis design for 7/8wt line rating.

Regards,
Fred Krow

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree a 7/8 would be nice. It seems like there are way too few rods available in that length and that weight. Can I ask what shop you got it from?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I've been wondering about the 10 weight too. I think Juro was calling it the All-Arounder, not the Atlantis. Just looked at CND website and it only shows info for the 11 wt Atlantis. Didn't think the 10 weight was even out yet.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
i'm toying around with the 1111 atlantis and love it! please update us when you hone your 9/10 weight as that would be interesting where i fish as well.

vinnie

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Those I have sold the All-Arounder to have absolutely loved it. They have put it through the paces for both coho and chums off the beach and don't have anything but good things to say about the rod.

I have yet to fish the rod but have extensively fished the Surf-Tamer for big Giant Trevally and smaller Bluefins on Christmas Is. The All-Arounder is 2 full steps below the Surf-Tamer (I run a #12 Airflo head vs. a #10 on the All-Arounder). The All-Arounder and Surf-Tamer's lower 2/3rd's of the rod are very similiar in how they react while casting...a nice stiff yet progessive load that has alot to give if you need it. However, the All-Arounder has a softer tip that makes some wonderful casts in tight as I know Juro designed it with presentation qualities in mind for them big spooky Stripers on the flats. Once you get used to the softer tip, it is no problem to hit 100' with one false cast.

One other comment regarding lines. I was talking to Juro a while back and he said he has dialed in a particular Windcutter with both tips removed BUT he couldn't remember excactly which one.

Hopefully, J-ro will pipe in. :)

btw-the 9/10 is NOT overkill for coho, smaller steelhead etc. I would equate it to a #9 single-hander power-wise.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
retailers????

Anbody got an idea where I can find one? Kuafmanns said they don't have one in right now when I called yesterday. My income tax refund should be here in a week or two, and I will be looking for one.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
Anbody got an idea where I can find one? Kuafmanns said they don't have one in right now when I called yesterday. My income tax refund should be here in a week or two, and I will be looking for one.

I'd call Redshed or Tightlines (both sponsors) and check. Being in the northeast striper country Tightlines might have one in stock.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Jamey McLeod said:
The Bellevue store has one in stock. Well atleast there was one sittin' on the rack when I went home Thursday night. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts