Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a friend look at a CND 8/9, and was wondering if any of you have used airflo tips on it. If so, would you go with the 7/8 or 8/9 tips, long delta? Juro very kindly suggested the 7/8, since the airflo lines tend to run a little heavy, but mentioned also that he hasn't actually cast the 8/9 with those lines.

One more thing: this will be a fall-winter rod for the Deschutes & Sandy. Floater, then, for the D, tips for the Sandy. Would this be a good choice for the budget-minded angler who'd like to have 1 rod (I know, it's folly, like one cookie) for fall and winter? Or would it be the 9/10? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I use a 7/8 full floater which loads the rod nicely. Since your grains would be a little heavier with tips I would stick with the 7/8. Should be a nice setup.

I use this rod for summer work and plan to use it for close in winter work this upcoming season. From what I have seen of the Sandy it should be a good match for that river. I have landed fish up to 26 pounds on it so it should be able to handle any steelhead you may catch.

All in all I love this rod , the price is right and it is a much better rod than others out there twice its price.

I say go for it,

-sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Sean. I chose the CND Custom 8/9 rod this year and love it. This is my only two handed rod. I went with the Rio Mid Spey (with tips) per Juro's suggestion and I have been both pleased and impressed. I have only fished the floater thus far on the Deschutes but plan to use the tips as the season progresses. In my opinion, this rod would work nicely for what you want plan to use it for. I might add that the 9/10 might be a little much for the Deschutes, but I guess it would depend on how much you would fish it there versus the Sandy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Sean, and Rimrock. 75% on the Deschutes, probably, since my friend isn't as keen on winter fishing as I am, so it sounds like the 8/9 is a good choice, as Juro suggested.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Which Rod

Debarb, is it the 1308 you are talking about? I have this rod and it works very well on the Deschutes with a 7/8 midspey, either RIO or long delta. Some like the 8/9, but those are mostly those learning to spey cast. I think you would be happer with the 7/8 in the long run.

Still, the best way is to try them yourself. There are a number of board members in Oregon who might have the lines you could try. If you get to The Fly fishing shop in Welches, Mark would have lines to try before you buy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Ted, thanks. My reply to Rimrock confused things. I meant to say "yes" to the 8/9 Custom spey (1308) and yes to the 7/8 line. Sounds like you agree with the choices all the way around. Actually the rod's for a friend who thinks he's just going to get one rod. The trouble is, when you get the perfect spey setup, you want to get another perfect setup, but I'm keeping that from him.

Thanks for the help--this is a terrific board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts