Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Both great rods

I fished the Salar with a 9/10 long delta and the Meiser with a 8/9 long delta. The Meiser is lighter and aa very pleasant rod to fish. I use the Meiser on the Deschutes on the Clearwater.

What are you fishing for? What type of line do you like to use?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rod will be used in BC with dry line and sink tips ( mostly T-3) and also to smaller extend for Atlantics in Europe.
I am guessing, based on others comments, that in addition to floating and
sink-tip line, the CND would handle sunk line ( slow sink) very well.
I am not sure about the 15’ 7/8/9 and sunk lines.

I realize that I have to test both rods, but could you make some comments about how each of the rods felt when casting ( line speed, loading, mending etc.).

Robert

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Robert,

I have only cast the Meis for a bit while I have cast and fished the Salar alot. The Salar is a big powerful rod and the Meis is a slick mid-weight, therefore the comparison is a little tough.

I know the Salar fishes full sinkers well, as that is what Nobuo often uses when he fishes for Atlantics. With its full flex and powerful butt section it is well suited for full sinkers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Meiser 7/8/9 vs CND Salar

Robert,

You are comparing two differnet rod weights, and 6" differnet. Meiz 15' is about 7/8/9 (but it is able to handle some 9/10 lines). Salar is 9/10/11 weight rod, but handles 8/9 XLT (old) as well. To me, both rod cast nice and have good bending profiles (althrough they are differnet), and both handle tips well. Keep in mind, Salar is heavier than Meiz 7/8/9. If you fish dry and light tip most your time, Meiz 15 is the one. If you want to get your fly a bit farther away and bigger fly, that the rod weight and 6" make differnet.

Personally, I like Meiz rod better because its action, recovery rate, light in hand and finish. You should try them before making any decision. There are also many options out there. Pick one that fits to your casting style, river and fish.

Have a fun shopping.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Skagit line for the Meiz

Hey mjyp,

What line are you using for a skagit on the Meiz?

Thanks, jgs

·
Registered
506 Posts
tough comparrison

That would be a tough comparrison. The CND is a 10 wt. the Meiser is an 8wt.

A better comparrison would be the Meiser 8/9/10. I am sure Bob or Mike at the Redshed would be happy to send one for you to try.

I advocate try before you buy !

Skilly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts