Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this rod and I am looking for some line options. I have a WC 7/8/9 floater that I am going to try on this rod but I think it may overload it a little. I may cut it back and put a loop on it to attach tips but still not sure if this is the right way to go. But since I already have the line its worth a look. I will primarily use this rod with a floating line or with an intermediate style tip. I prefer the medium length lines such as the mid spey. Most casts will be snap "T", single, double and snake roll. Very seldom need to make longer casts in excess of 80ft? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I cast one

with a Long Delta 7/8 and it felt nice, but that was grass casting behind a fly shop. The 7/8/9 should load it a little deeper, as did the 7/8. If you want it a bit quicker/more responsive, you might try the Mid-Spey 6/7 or WC 6/7/8. It's a helluva nice light rod!
Carl

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Chromefever -

For my casting prefs the 1307SP likes the 6/7 midspey and the 6/7/8 windcutter as Carl said, but if you already have the 7/8/9 WC and it's a floater I think you could make a nice tip line out of it by cutting it back further than the standard first loop location.

Exactly how far back is the question.

I assume you want to preserve the floating tip for greaselining later on, so you want to make one and only one cut. If you are willing to sacrifice the one-pc floating tip, then start somewhere further back than the multi-tip first loop and work back until it rocks for you with the tips you use most.

My experience has been that the sinktip makes a big difference as well, so you will need to think in terms of the best fishing tip and reverse engineer the head to carry it. A good place to start is the 15ft type 8 Rio tip, if the line throws that well then you are in the game for winter steelhead.

The 1307SP has good reserve power and some guys use it to snap-t some pretty solid grain counts, but that was not the design of the rod and the rod will be must crisper with less grains than the 7/8/9 WC packs. I like the 7/8/9 WC on the 1308SP, it's slightly beefier big brother.

After removing mid-section grains you will end up with a shorter head, but the shorter more substantial head will throw tips much easier anyway so for a winter line it might be great for fishing.

I have an idea -

Ask Simon how much the middle section and tip section of a multi-tip WC 7/8/9 weighs. Assuming the middle is level or close to it, you can figure out how far back to cut to get close to a grain count of approx 475-500 grains.

1) you know the standard first section length (it's on the box)

2) get grains for mid-section of 7/8/9 from Rio, then divide the grains by number of feet to get desired grains/ft.

3) Add (length of section #2 you need) to (length of section #1) to come somewhere close to a grain designation of 475-500. In other words:

cut length = (std tip length) + (length of midsection required)

where (grains tip)+(grains mid segment) == 475-500 grains

Or you could ballpark it around 20' back and play with sinktips till you hit the mark. Sinktips are far from an exact science anyway!

Hope that helped (although I am not sure it did :p)

That will tell you how many feet back to make the cut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts