Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, and Greetings from Northern WY-
Was wondering if anyone might be nice enough to point me in the right direction- I'm an avid flyfisherman, new to spey casting and I'd like to get a setup for trout fishing in reservoirs and lakes -I'm looking at a 12" 6" 6wt. rod, but I hav'nt a clue if this is a good rod for my aplication. We get some wind out here ( understatement), but a love 6 wts. for my all around fishing, but don't know if it's right for the spey casting application I'm after. Any info would be greatly appreciated-
Thanks alot-
Uflyfish2

·
Registered
169 Posts
Check out Meiser's fly, switch, and spey rods...

He has the nicest selection of "custom" rods with custom actions going - with workmanship exceeding just about ANY rod I have seen at any price. And he will supply a "loaner" to try, as well.

Best of all, his prices are VERY reasonable! He is also a site sponsor - look him up.

BobK

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Two Handers for Trout

Howdy Uflyfish2,
Bob Meiser builds very fine rods and I think you will be quite pleased if you purchase one. However, while you are looking why don't you also check out the CND Expert 1306. Matched with a WindCutter 5/6 floating spey line this is one sweet outfit. If you get a hankering for a test drive let me know. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can you provide a little more information on why you want a "spey rod"? As I read your post it appears you are looking for an overhead casting rod? Mentioning lakes and res would you be fishing from either a boat or tube?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MJC- Thanks a ton for the offer- Mighty white of ya!!
Andre- here's more info-
The other day I was whatching "fly fish tv" and saw the Hazels spey casting- I noticed that they could make a long cast with little or no back cast- It looked like the water disturbance was minimal and fairly close to the angler- My plan is to incorporate this on a lake with a high bank, that requires also longer casting whith little or no room for a backcast. We suspend nymph rigs from indicators on the lakes out here with fair success in the fall and spring, if you retrieve fast you catch little, retrieve slow and catch many, so you spend alot of time on one cast ( unless you are nervous like I am and love to cast- and catch few!) For this reason I think the water disturbance would be not so critical in this instance- Also, I'll use it to swing streamers on the bighorn, and maybe high stick nymph some- Mostly I think it'll start as a lake deal for me- Thanks for asking- let me know what you think... From a tube/pontoonboat, and the bank...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Stillwater Two Handers

Howdy Uflyfish2,
I believe no matter who's rod you use (and there are many really good ones out there) you will find some methods in which you will benefit from using a 12'+ trout weight rod on still water. There is only one way to put all the speculation and question marks to rest and that is to give someone's rod a field test under real conditions.
Take care, MJC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts