Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am sure this question has been answered in another thread, I just couldn't find it. Im looking for some reel suggestions for some trout speys (preferably click pawl). Im looking for new reels for the g loomis IMX pro 11'11'' 4wt and 5wt. What are you all liking, or think would be a good fit?

For my bigger rods I run a 3 3/4 olympic bougle, 4''perfect, and the LT st Andrew. And Love them all. Thought about getting another Olympic because I love it so much, but would like to try something different. What do you guys got?

Thanks!

Nate

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does Hardy still make the 8/9 marquis? I couldn’t find it on their website. Asked around at my local shops and no one had or could order it. For those of you using the 7 marquis do you feel like it has enough line capacity for spey? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a Marquis 7 as a secondary reel that I use on my 3 wt. trout spey rods occasionally. As I said earlier in the thread it is lined with mono running line. I have 100 yards of 20 lb. backing on it, 100 ft. of 40 lb. Siglon F mono, and with that configuration, appropriately sized Commando heads (225 grain) and Airflo Scout heads (240 grain) fit on the reel along with a 5 x 5 light MOW tip and leader. I also use that reel on my 5 and 6 wt. single hand rods for single hand skagit.

That reel works fine on my 3 wt. trout speys (Sage Pulse 3110 and Sage Trout Spey G5 3110), however, as others have stated it would not be my first choice for a 4 wt. trout spey.

As to your question about Hardy still making the Marquis in the 8/9 size, the new Marquis LWTs do not include that size. The Salmon 1 is the next size up from the Marquis 7. There are deals out there on the auction site. Matter of fact, there is a Marquis 8/9 on there right now for sale at a fair price. The only issue I could see on it is it looks like some kind of glue build up on the underside of the reel foot. I can't tell exactly what it is, but when you hover zoom on the pictures, I could see something on the underside of the reel foot. Looked like some kind of glue build up to me. Check it out.
Wow, super helpful, thank you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts