Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off on a grand tour of Oregon/Idaho the first two weeks of October. I'm looking for places to stay in Lewiston, ID and on the Umpqua. Any suggestions and/or fishing reports welcome.

Also, what's the place called in Maupin that's just below the bridge. There's the Oasis with the cabins, I can't remember the other motel there. I remember it was pretty nice (as far as Maupin goes). I'd rather not stay at the top of the hill with the lady and her 20 cats if I don't have to.

I think I'm going to split my time between motel (credit card camp) and campgrounds. If there are any nice campgrounds near Lewiston or Idleyld Park anyone could recommend please do so.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is limited (at best) camping on the Clearwater between Lewiston and Orifino in terms of finding some place that is quiet and tranquil. Highway 12 paralells the river and the constant sound of semis will lull you to sleep. The best quiet place I have found to stay in my camper is at "Spalding". If you are looking to stay some place the Sportsman Inn, immediately across from the Flying J Truck Stop close to the intersection of 195 and HWY 12 is as good as any and offers convenient access to the river. For good food try the El Sombrero Mexican restaurant (just across the bridge on 195, towards Lewiston, turn North, and it is on your right). Also worth a try is the Effie Burger... PM me if you need more CW information as it is my "home" river.
Chris

P.S. If you are up this way don't rule out the Snake and the Grande Ronde.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Forgot to tell you to get a hold of Mike at the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck, ID while you are on the Clearwater. He has an incredible spey shop on the Clearwater and it is well worth the trip to his shop to check out his place and pick his brain for the latest steelhead information on the river. In my opinion his shop is what a fly shop should be and his customer service is second to none in any business. There is a ton of great fishing between Lewiston and Peck and you will not be disappointed in what his place has to offer.
Chris

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Wilson-
The hotel you are thinking of is the Imperial River Company. It is located right next to the City Park in Maupin.

I've never stayed in the rooms (I prefer to camp) but have enjoyed many a meal there and the food is excellent!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lewiston & Umpqua camping

For the Clearwater camp at Hells Gate State Park. It is 3 miles up the Snake from the confluence of the CW & Snake and is pretty quiet and has showers. At either Lewiston bridge that crosses the Snake to Washington, turn south before crossing the bridge and favor the riverside of any intersections and you will drive into the Park.

Susan Creek campground is 6 miles up from IP and has showers and is very nice.

Have fun. I am jealous.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
For camping on the North Umpqua only two good ..

choices.

The first is Susan Creek Campground (BLM) at mile post 28 on hiway 138. 'Dead in the middle' of the first 20 miles of fly only water. Property is maintained wonderfully. No hook ups, but large clean showers, toilets and freash water next to every other site.

Another good choice is a Douglas County campground Whistlers Bend (roughly mile post 12-13 off hw 138). Not as nice as Susan Creek, but you've got a 1,000 yards of water you can fish right out of your door (mostly fly water even if in 'any gear' section of the NU.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Susan Creek

Unless there has been a change I thought Susan Creek Campground closed the end of September. They changed camp hosts mid summer so a few phone calls may be in order.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Sportsman Inn, El Sombrero and Effie Burger! How come I never see you at these places? These are my places when I'm in Lewiston, including Rusty's Ranch Cafe. across from the Sportsman for breakfast. Craig Lanigan turned me on to an outrageous Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet last fall but I don't remember the name.

Leland.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Leland...

How come I never see you at these places?

He is hiding behind that Effie burger. :whoa:

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
God Bless the Effie Burger!!

Damn it's been to long since i had one of those!!!
MJC - I gotta get on the clearwater this fall now!!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
344 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts