Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dom
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is just around the corner here and I slowly began to think numb toes and frozen up guides. I know one remedy is use line that requires no stripping but I still prefer skagit. I use Loon anti ice paste and it does help to some degree but its not completely eliminated. I don't mind clearing guides up but it becomes a problem when I wade. Even tho im 6' 2" I cant reach out for the tip of the rod without setting the rod down on the hard ground. Tips? Tricks? Thinking about the way how to utilize a large C&F waterproof box as a floating base for the rod butt to sit on. :)

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Use an anti-icer of some sort (petroleum-free carnauba wax is what I use on coated lines) along with dipping the rod in water to shake the ice-off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you aren't using tape or wax, break the rod down at the lowest junction. Put the bottom section under your arm or in your waders and work your way down the rest of the rod clearing the ice.

Since the weight of the reel and handle are taken out of the equation, it is easy to address all the eyes without worrying of stressing/snapping the rod.

If I wear gloves, I put the eyes to my mouth and "blow". No need to dampen the gloves.

No comments.:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Here in Southern Oar E Gone ..

Use an anti-icer of some sort (petroleum-free carnauba wax is what I use on coated lines) along with dipping the rod in water to shake the ice-off.
Freezing guides are FOReBIDDIouN by Regulation. See page 89 of fishing regulation book.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Freezing guides are FOReBIDDIouN by Regulation. See page 89 of fishing regulation book.
Man am I happy to be here!!!!

But in Alaska I have a fair bit of experience with this... If it's above 15F I dip it in the water, if it gets below that I use the ice as an excuse to move around and get back to shore to use the mouth method mentioned above. I'll only deal with that for a short time though and call it...
While winter fishing with Hardyreels last winter I decided a long line is well worth it as I was breaking ice every third cast and he did twice the whole day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts