Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using my clear intermediate tip in bright sunshine, the it glows like it was lit neon. Anybody have this problem and a solution? I dyed it in tea for a while and it just makes if a lighter tan color. Should it be roughened up?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Which tip?

I have not noticed that glo with other intermediate lines/polyleader/or tips.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Tea Selection

Be careful what tea you use to dye your line, I have noticed that steelhead tend to shy away from Earl Grey and other heavily caffeinated teas.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Bill,

I am sure you are correct about the line glowing. I don't use the clear tips much but if i did I would be thinking about changing them as you are. I recently saw some underwater footage of a fly on the swing tied to ultra-green or clear tippet. The tippet was glowing like neon under the water. It showed up as much or more then the fly. I use brown maxima for this reason and believe if you could dye the clear tip a similar color it would be better. Absorb light vs. reflect it. Let me know what you come with and how it works for you.

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Greg
When I noticed it, I was in NB on a salmon river. All I had with me were the tea bags for my morning tea. I'll try some real dye and let you know how it works. I'm just wondering if I should slightly rough it up to dampen its shine.
Best,
Bill

·
Registered
99 Posts
clear tips glow up like flashabou

In hard sunshine clear intermnediate tips and some of the poly leaders gloow up like flashabou and do/can spook Atlantic Salmon. We like to rub them through some fresh grass this takes the hard shiny glow away from it. Its a somple on the river solution.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I would think that if your leader was long enough, the tip may not be as much of an issue?

Using flourocarbon tippet rather than mono also helps reduce glare - for one thing it will sink more than mono and if not right in the film the impacts of glare and refraction are much less than if the tippet is floating.

I always use flouro for trout fishing on spring creeks for this reason

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Rick
Clear part of intermediate tip is about 6', clear intermediate leader is 13', tippet is only about 3'. That's 19' of neon.
B

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Bill,

I no longer use lines with clear intermediate tips for exactly the reasons that you describe. I still use heads with intermediate tips, just in neutral colors (olive is preferred).

I also don't like the clear intermediate poly leaders on a bright day. I'll usually go with a Slow Sink polyleader (dark green) vs. the clear Int. polyleader on a bright day, or opt for a full mono leader.

I agree with Greg: the Maxima Chameleon (the brown stuff) is the way to go. Mario swears by it on the ultra clear waters of the Bonnie. tb

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Topher
Yes, Mario's tried to make me use Maxima Chameleon for nearly 10 years. I don't use it to spite him.
; - )
B

spelling corrected

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
maybe go with an all flouro leader and tippet.

Funny recommending maxima brown for clear water. I was bone fishing on very clear flats and those that were using maxima brown could not buy a bone fish. Clear leaders and tippets were no problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts