Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has a remedy for getting small rock scratches out of the clear coat finish on rods, maybe a auto rubbing compound?

·
Registered
997 Posts
clean the scratch/chip area with alcohol
Fill scratch/chip with clear nail polish slightly proud of the blank finish
once dry/cured mask off the area all around the repair area. (use as little as possible to minimize sanding work)
Sand down the proud repair level with 600/1000/2000 grit wet/dry paper using water.
once level and blended in to existing clear coat, polish with auto polishing compound to match the shine of the existing finish
auto wax the area.
Done.

If you do a good job of it the ding will be undetectable and the whole thing might take you 10-30min once the nail polish has cured.

Cheers.
James

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it's very light surface scratches, then yes, an automotive polish will work. Key is getting one aggressive enough to remove the scratches, but not so abrasive to cause more scratches. Probably best to start light, and see if that works.

briansII

·
Registered
370 Posts
If it's very light surface scratches, then yes, an automotive polish will work. Key is getting one aggressive enough to remove the scratches, but not so abrasive to cause more scratches. Probably best to start light, and see if that works.

briansII
Finish is very thin on most good quality blanks. If you can feel a scratch with your finger nail you can not polish it out and risk doing more damage than you started with. I have polished and waxed many rods, work great but only for surface scratches.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
What canecaster said. In my first life I restored Ferrari and Rolls Royce (primarily) automobiles. If a car came in with a scratch to the clear coat, this is pretty much what I'd do, substituting lacquer for the fingernail polish. Same process, though.
Gary

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
A very well known custom blank maker (not just a builder) told me for very light scratches use Maguire's Swirl Remover. Did the trick for me on some light scratches.

For deeper scratches I would go down the path of what James is suggesting.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the info! The scratches are not superficial so I will try some auto polish first and if that doesn't work I will resort to the other thoughts. Thanks again, Mark

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use rod finishing epoxy (after cleaning with alcohol), but I ony bother to cover up scratches if they are really deep and visible. The other methods mentioned here definitely make sense for lighter scratches.
I fell and scratched a rod (near the handle) last fall and put a feather overlay over the spot. Now the rod looks even better than before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts