Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
cleaning fly lines

As I'm filling my wash basin with luke warm water will wash my hands with a bar of Ivory soap for about ten seconds in the rising water, turn off the water when basin about 3/4 full, and soak the portion of the line which has been in my practice lagoon(brackish water)for about 1/2 hour. Now empty basin, put in clean water to about half basin, drain water, dry line through old, clean T-shirt as I reel it back onto the reel; let reel/line air dry for several hours and then put back in Abel reel case. Use mild hand soap of your choosing.

J

·
0 Posts
I used to use a similar system. However, as the number of flylines began to build it became a time consuming nuisance. I now use any of the fly line cleaners on the market (Renew, Loon, SA, and a bunch more) to clean the line while it's stretched out between a hook on my porch and a tree. I find that these cleaners clean every bit as well as soap and water, and I then have the line in the position I want to add Russ Peak dressing. I add the RP, let it dry in the sun while I do other chores for about twenty minutes, and then use a clean cotton rag to buff the line. What I get is something far better than any line straight out of the box. I still have a few lines left from the late 1960s that are in wonderful shape because they are cleaned and dressed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
926 Posts
JR
Couldn't agree more on the RP. I use it the same way. Wonderful stuff. But I still clean my lines with a non-detergent soap.
Bill

J

·
0 Posts
My container says McKenzie Flies on it, but I think I read somewhere that Umpqua is now distributing it. That should make it available from most of the shops, though there is no guarantee that they'll have it in stock. I'll bet at least a few of the sponsors of this site have it available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts