Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm pretty meticulous with my gear, hosing down my waders after each use.
Washed my g3 convertible this summer coz I took a dunk in a smelly river.
Added a couple of drops of liquid clothing detergent to a bucket of water.
Turned the wader inside out and soaked in solution for a couple of hours.
Hung the wader and sprayed down with a garden hose.
Dried in shade until completely dry.
Turned wader back outside side in and hosed down with water.
Dried again in shade until dry.
Voila! Smell gone. :)

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I did clean a some Simms by just taking a shower in them, I guess you could just put them inside out with you in the shower and have at them! This is how I clean my dogs!!!! Hey and you get a shower on out of all this as well.:hihi:

If they get smelly enough people will stay away from you on the river thus no crowding!:chuckle:

·
Registered
177 Posts
" Meinfretr " Waders

The best preventative maintenance for waders is to turn them inside out and air dry after each use to prevent said "skank". It is more important to dry and ventilate the inside rather than the outside.
Bryan

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've had to real with serious funk after a week of solid fishing in hot weather. It smelled like a hockey bag, and there was no amount of shampoo or cleaner that would get the sweat stench out. I hung them inside out at the end of each day. The smell took over and only got worse. It was sweat, and bacteria, and I thought I was going to have to throw them out.

I ended up spraying "Nature's Miracle" on them. It's an enzyme cleaner.
I use it to get rid of dog pee when I foster greyhounds. Amazing stuff. I put a couple cap fulls in a spray bottle, maybe 2 cups of water and spray it all over the inside of my waders (well, insides-out). Let it sit. Reapply as necessary. It will remove the offensive odor, and the bacteria that is causing it.

I've also used nature's miracle skunk odor-remover with good results.

It's available at decent pet supply stores, and most vet offices in my area have it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've used "Sink the Stink" with great success on my wetsuits, drysuits, and waders.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pay attention to the felt linings of the Patagonia wader booties. They can get pretty foul unless regularly cleaned with soap and water and dried thoroughly.

·
Administrator
2,458 Posts
Powdered detergent, in a bath tab and warm water. Agitate a bit and scrub where necessary and rinse well. Hang and let air dry. As per a post above, Simms has a great video that shows the process. Simms and Patagonia both are pretty clear about the requirement to wash waders before sending in. Almost sounds like a regulation outside of the companies for "health reasons". I just did an old pair of Simms and treated them with Revivex.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I ran big game hounds for many years.. been around it. It works.

Reading through this thread some circumstance point towards a second set of waders. I've always hung mine when possible. But for the times when you almost live in them during humid summer conditions, alternating daily may be a good option.

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's what I settled on Brian. That's very good advice.

I was in the Gaspe when my waders got funked up. Those are long days of fishing---in July! Waders go on at 4am. Waders come off around 11pm.
2 sets of waders is the cure for that condition.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Dunno, but my wife claims that Febreze will get the stayank out of anything, anywhere, anyhow. I have washed my waders with woolite, but it is a cumbersome process. I'm reluctant to try her idea, but perhaps a fellow speypager will try it and report back.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts