Spey Pages banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm noticing a trend lately that needs addressing as it is increasing dramatically and can't continue. This is part of the reason Mike and I sought input on the Classifieds Poll Thread.

I'm seeing a continual (and increasing) "bump" of items within several hours of listing...and that's not ok. There are 900 viewers at any given time on Spey Pages and a handful of posters are constantly bumping an item to the top of the page as soon as it hits page 2. That sort of thing is what brings additional rules, etc and I think we can all handle this without more rules. Let's at least give that a go before we move toward further "regulation". So, how about we all consider the fact that there are quite a few items going through the Classifieds section (good problem to have) and let's also consider that all it takes is a quick look at page 2...and just maybe page 3 to see lots of cool gear. My suggestion would be that an item shouldn't even be considered for an obligatory "bump" for a minimum of 24 to 48 hours. If 100 people have seen an item by the time it hits page 2 that's substantial exposure. Give others the courtesy of letting their item make it through the Classifieds. Key word here is "courtesy". This is a community and we all need to treat it as such. 95% of the readers of this post will understand what I'm referring to here. I'm guessing and hoping that in most cases the frequent "bumps" are a result of new members who may not be familiar with forum "decorum" and aren't aware of their inadvertent mistake. So...let's all work together and hold off on the "bump button" for a day or two. The Classifieds Thread Poll is still open. Feedback is welcome and encouraged on this subject on that thread. Please send me a PM if necessary versus continuing to bump this thread. Happy to answer any questions. Feel free to give this a "Like" if we're on the same page...bottom right...click on the "Like".

Appreciate everyone's understanding and cooperation.

Brian

·
skagitard with skagitude
293 Posts
Can you hard code it so a repeat post by the OP doesn't bring that post back to the top if there has been another post within the last 24 hours?

·
Registered
741 Posts
There are forums out there that will not allow bumping in the classifieds section. And others that have a admin restriction that only allows bumping every 24 or 48 hours. I'm more in favour of the former so that 3 year old threads don't get brought back up by people who have no common sense...

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
On one backpacking forum I know of they have a rule that you can't bump unless you lower your price. That is a pretty good rule. Then then had to modify it to be you can't bump unless you lower your price by at least %5 - LOL. I think the time delay one is good too.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
On one backpacking forum I know of they have a rule that you can't bump unless you lower your price. That is a pretty good rule. Then then had to modify it to be you can't bump unless you lower your price by at least %5 - LOL. I think the time delay one is good too.
this, right here... this is sense.

cheers,
shawn

·
Registered
688 Posts
Maybe this s a good place to bring up what could be considered an "ad etiquette management" issue:

I have an issue with people who haven't bothered reading the classified rules (maybe have a check box "yes I have read the rules and agree to abide by them or I give all my stuff to ralfish" ;) no tick= no ability to place ad) and who 1. dont remove their ad after the items have been sold. I understand some people like this as a way to see what the market price is, I dont agree with this because all you have to do is go to ebay and search your heart out. Save the classifieds section here for high the quality transactions that it has become known for and dont clutter it with historical info that can be better found elsewhere (IMHO) and 2. who neglect to edit their initial ad posting to include the words sold right in the ad itself. reading down through all the responses only to see sold at the bottom somewhere...thats just lazy and discourteous.

I see that this issue is being addressed via the delete ad poll. There was a time here on SP, that it was a requirement to delete the ad when things sold. I wasn't aware of this recent (? Idont know when it changed) "watering down" change in the rules, and disagree with the notion of simply because people arent abiding by the regs that we change the rules to accommodate them. By going to the lowest common denominator and reaching for the bottom this simply contributes to the on going loss of the decorum and respect that this place once held. Even in the classifieds section.

Complaining without offering a solution is weak so here is my offering of a solution towards cleaning things up:

Firstly let me acknowledge that the classifieds draw a lot of traffic to this site. It is a bonus to the owners of this site that happens and that as much as it is a pain to manage for the mods, it is where much of the traffic comes from and as such should also be managed as such.

1. Check box requirement: that the person has read the rules and without checking the box they have no ability to place an ad.

2. If it is decided to keep sold ads up in the classifieds section, please make it a requirement that the original ad is edited to convey the word Sold, simply as a courtesy to the reader. Continued failure to do will result in no being able to place an ad. It is my opinion that old ads should go away after a set time frame ( just like on Craigs list where they go away after 45 days.)

Let me also acknowledge that I view participating on this site a privilege. It is a privately owned for profit site and as such I appreciate the high quality input from its various users, whether its in the classifieds, the fly tying area or anywhere else. Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Not trying to derail the point of this thread but I personally hate the idea of deleting everything, eBay is not a good judge of what this type of gear sells for and it is really nice to be able to use the search function on here when trying to find a value... My two cents... And yes Brian I agree about threads always brought back up, it's obnoxious

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think limiting the number of times an ad can be bumped would be nice. I usually shoot for 2-3 bumps, with price drops each time. If the item doesn't sell after that, I delete the ad and the item goes to eBay.

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Retailers Are Our Sponsors...

After reading the title I was hoping this thread was going to address the increasing trend of retailers simply listing items within their inventory - if I want to know what you have in your store I can simply look at your website. And it's even more fun when they then bump their listings!

That said, I agree with the intent of this thread.
This thread addresses every classifieds poster...member or sponsoring retailer. The only retailers posting on here are paying sponsors. They PAY for the opportunity to post on here and fly their flag. The rest of us get to post our gear free of charge. I've gone through 4 pages of classifieds posts and don't see a single post from a retailer. Half way in to page 5 was the first sponsor / retailer post. I don't see that as a problem.

·
Administrator
17,786 Posts
The classifieds are pretty civil imo. I look at it like this. Swing the run and move. Respect it. let it simmer.
Good analogy Mr. chainsaw !!
We all hate when someone low-holes us, or has concrete shoes and hoards the run ... no different here folks.

Give respect and respect will be given ...
It wouldn't be the first time I've made a purchase from page 3 in the Classifieds ....
Also must say this, if you've bumped your ad 10 times without a taker or inquiry, something needs to change, usually price or shipping. To bump 10 times without changing your ad, I can tell you this from my personal thoughts, around bump 3 it gets ignored :hihi:

Despite our hiccups (growing pains), this is still the best Classified Forum on the internet ... and the greatest community as well !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If the Cloud has no weight, how can it get overloaded?

To be sure, repeated bumps, especially at intervals of hours, are silly and unhelpful.

However... I'm a geezer from the first half of the 20th Century. My reality is Newtonian rather than Einsteinian or Jobian. So I'm thinking: if electrons are infinite, how much can an extra bump cost the owners? If it's significant, than it's wrong to add to the site owner's overhead. Easy answer?

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To be sure, repeated bumps, especially at intervals of hours, are silly and unhelpful.

However... I'm a geezer from the first half of the 20th Century. My reality is Newtonian rather than Einsteinian or Jobian. So I'm thinking: if electrons are infinite, how much can an extra bump cost the owners? If it's significant, than it's wrong to add to the site owner's overhead. Easy answer?
Not a cost issue or concern at all. Mike and I never get involved on that side. I like to say we're the "Volunteer Dad Referee's" at the Saturday kids football game. We're here purely because we want to support the Spey Pages community and we don't get involved in the financials. My initial post was more about the constant bumping of threads as a seller see's their item hit page 2 than anything else. It's been getting out of hand lately. As was mentioned earlier, the Classifieds are the biggest activity generator on this or most any forum and lately we've seen increased activity as a result of new members and lots of gear being posted. Based on the "Like" count and responses I think we all are on the same page.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I am disappointed by those classified posts which are the number 2 or 3 posts by the forum member - I feel the forum is intended to be, & offers, so much more than a fee-free E-bay for fishing gear.

I honestly don't know if this is already in place (O.K., I'm a hoarder not a seller), but I think there should be a minimum requirement of say 50 constructive posts before being allowed to post in the classfied section.

It's meant to be a fishing forum, not an unregistered dealers' web-site after all.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My take on this is that I personally have gear that I will actively look for when the time comes, but I also have purchased items on here that I would have never thought to actually search for. People actively bumping their classifieds every other day (not hour....) gives people a chance to see the ad as "new" I'm sure everyone can relate....when's the last time you saw something in the classifieds and wanted to buy, or even bought it because it was new. If that item got pushed to page 10 you probably wouldn't have been reminded to buy it. And yes people will say if you aren't actively looking for it you don't need it that bad, but then again there's many people who have dozens of rods and reels that they "don't need"

Just my 2 cents. I have no issues with a bump every day or two. Shows the seller is motivated IMO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is a good thread. Some very good opinions posted. This maybe somewhat off topic but, i do browse through the classified pages and have contacted a seller(s) on say page 6 or 7 or even in the later pages inquiring about an items status. I find that often i do not get a reply back for whatever reason. Maybe the item is sold or the seller has moved on from the items listed and just does not care to respond back. Not sure what the issue is. Im guessing that those sellers that want to move their items will keep up on their posts and occasionally bump? Just mho. Anyways, off to do some casting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.