Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is some options for selling / transfering funds without paypal. Do people still work with cashiers checks or money orders etc. What are some things to lookout for scams etc. I have a spey line and a few other things I am considering selling but I do not have regular internet access and I am not experienced with internet selling / trading, paypal etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've used PayPal, money orders and cashier cheques. The advantage of Pay Pal is that it is an instant transfer of funds however there is a 3% fee involved. A personal or cashier's cheque should be cleared before you send the item which takes a while by the time you get it and then wait for clearance. Otherwise it's fine. A money order works very well as you can cash it when you receive it and then forward the item. Just be sure if you're sending the item out of the country that you get an international money order as you may not be able to cash it in your country.

·
Registered
823 Posts
On this site, anyone with more than 30 40 posts on their ID and the posts relate to fishing passes muster with me. You could include a phone number so you dont have folks responding online and stuck waiting for your reply.

I've never been burned with checks. money orders, or intl. type of bank checks. Great group here; cant vouch for other sites, though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have used/taken all mentioned above. All methods are fine. You have some security dealing with board members over ebay. I would look at the length of time and number of posts someone has. If they only have a couple of posts then I would be more careful. I have gotten to the point that for small items ($50 or less) paypal or personal check. I do not even wait for the check to clear, not the end of the world if I got taken for a $35 line. The larger amount the more careful I am. I would not like to eat a $500 rod. If you are going to sell more than a couple of items you might look into setting up paypal. I do not really like it or the fees, but almost a necessary evil for posting on the internet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a separate but related query. I've sent money using PayPal, but never rec'd it. I know its an electronic transfer but .... (Seems ignorant) ..... How does one get their cash from PayPal?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
I have a separate but related query. I've sent money using PayPal, but never rec'd it. I know its an electronic transfer but .... (Seems ignorant) ..... How does one get their cash from PayPal?
Thanks.
Paypal is an electronic savings account essentially. If funds were sent...they're sitting in your paypal account. You can tie your account directly to a bank account and withdraw the funds directly to that account (3-4 days) or they offer a debit card that you can use to spend the money or pull out at an atm. Easy and convenient.

·
bow river ninja
220 Posts
Thanks.
your paypal should be linked to your bank you can then transfer it to your account via the "transfer" icon... or do what I do and spend it on other online goodies!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your help. Guess I was just used to sending money one way. Lots of ways to deal with them that I would not have thought about. Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
199 Posts
In my experience, paypal or email money tranfers are the best. EMT's are country specific though. The cashiers cheques, i have learned can have stop payments placed on them. In Canada a bank draft is guaranteed funds and cannot have a stop placed after issue. I am unsure whether U.S postal money orders can be stopped. Having said this, on this site and others like it, i have had good experiences. Looking through the buyers previous posts can give you a pretty good idea, while no guarantee, if someone is credible.
Personal cheques, especially, cross border can take up to 25 days to clear.
As a Manager of a bank in Canada, i have witnessed the frustration from clients with this long time delay.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good luck so far

I'm new here so I've only had the pleasure of one single transaction. I bought a used skagit head from "Mammothspey", and was more than happy with how it all worked out. I offered to send a personal check, and assumed that he'd want to wait until it had cleared before sending the line in the mail. Figured that I wasn't too worried about being jacked on the line, as it would take kind of a moron to ruin their selling/buying reputation over a $35 transaction. He ended up dropping my line in the mail the day after I told him the check was in the mail. All worked out A-OK.

I'd be a bit more cautious about big $$$, but I think that as others have said I would hazard to bet that most people who are clearly addicted to fishing and probably gear junkies to boot are not the most likely scam types.
JB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts