Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J. Shewey's book inspired some thread turning that I though I would share. There are a number of Demons (Gold, Silver), an Orange Shrimp, a Stilly Special, and an Orange Heron, all tied on as close to "traditional" steelhead irons from the day (broke in to my stash of Partridge CS2 and Allcock 1810 TDE for the down eyed versions).

Thanks for having me...

Steve Cole

Attachments

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
These are nice flies. But Glasso never tied his Heron series spey flies on regular steelhead hooks of the time (50's and 60's). He tied all of his spey flies on Sealy low-water salmon irons, mostly in #1, but also in #1/0 and #2. These hooks were very similar to the Bob Veverka Classic Salmon Hook (Daiichi 2131) and as such had a shank that was about 2xl longer than a standard steelhead or salmon iron.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heron

Thanks much for the added information. I can see that the fly in Mr. Shewey's book is as you described and I missed it. Was the Sealey hook Mr. Glasso used jappaned? Or were they a brass finish? The photo I am looking at show's a black finish so I assume jappaned. Also, do you know if the eye on those hooks had a tapered return?

Thanks again.
Steve Cole

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Yes. The low-water Sealy hooks Glasso used were Japanned, not bronze. And yes, they has a tapered return eye wire. Like I already posted, they were very similar to the Bob Veverka Classic Salmon Hook (Daiichi 2131) a hook I wish was available in #1 or #1.5, or #1/0. The largest size it comes in is #2. However, I would not hesitate to use McNeese's Blue Heron Hook in #3 for a Glasso fly because it is about the same size as the old Sealy Low-water in #1. I personally wouldn't tie a Glasso fly on the #2 or #1 Blue Heron hook because they are much bigger that what Glasso used.

·
Administrator
19,233 Posts
The Demon series has always intrigued me. It is one of those cross-over patterns that would work for both steelhead and salar.
Nice work on these Steve !!

Mike

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Nice flies. According to another source both Glasso and Wentworth also used Veniards low water hooks (same?)from very early on and several different makes later on. 1s & 2s but only as large as 1/0. I don't mind your choice of hooks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts