Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been tying flies for a lot of years and want to get into tying some of the classic spey flies. I am looking at options for any classes or personal instruction on tying these flies. Hopefully on the west side of the USA.
I see where the Northwest Flytiers meeting in Albany OR has some classes available.
Is there anything else out there to help me with the learning curve?
Thanks Mike D.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
In the meanwhile, look for the two-disc dvd "Steelhead Flies: Tying Classics" by Dec Hogan and Marty Howard; a Reese Almond Production; martyhoward.com. The paperback "Spey Flies & Dee Flies" by John Shewey is excellent.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
well, it's something...

closest I can do is the exact opposite side of the planet.
I'll even provide tea.

cheers and be lucky,
shawn

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys. I will check into these ideas and possibly hook up with one of them. If someone else has suggestions, keep them coming.
Mike Day

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
That fly tying expo sounds like a good bet. April is a good time to be in that area for some awesome fishing.

I would be willing to make the trip if you are willing.

Have some tying wax for you at the next tying meeting. By the way I did not write the date? Need to know please.

KC

·
Registered
200 Posts
Try Speyclaves

Mike:

I know that Dave Tucker was doing a tying class at the Red Shed Clave last fall. You might want to review the claves at the Clave Forum:

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/forumdisplay.php?f=74

and see if there is one in your neck of the woods, contact them and ask if they are going to have a tying class at this year's clave. I know they have fly tying demonstrations at the Sandy River Spey Clave, but do not know if they have interactive classes.

FWIW,

Mark

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
In the absence of finding something local, Kevins idea is great. When I started learning to to Classic Atlantic patterns, I had two people mentor me via e-mail. I learned so much and made a couple of great friends.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Msg me whenever, ill give me email there, if I can be of any assistance ill do it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank everyone, There are some great suggestions here. I appreciate all the offers for help. Think of attending one of the classes offered in either Oregon or Idaho to start. Then I will be contacting some of the offered help.
Appreciate all your suggestions. Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts