Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many great classic single-handed rods on the market ( Winston BIIX, Sage XP etc.)
The question is which rod in 9-9'6" foot length wt. 6 would do the best job with spey casting style( single spey , snake roll).
I assume that casting single-handed 9'6" rod with heavier sink tip or polyleader could be a problem.
I would appreciate any input on the above matter, and fly lines most suitable for spey style casting with classic single-handed rods.
One line which comes to my mine is a long belly steelhead line.

Martin

·
Laird of Locharber
88 Posts
SA Nymph

Am still looking for a rod like than my self,have tried RPLs in #5 10' & #7 10'. They were not as I hoped. :eek: What I can tell you is besides DTs & long belly salmon/steelhead lines,which both roll cast well.Check SAs new Nymph line,it has a long belly & is rated for single-handed spey casting. :smokin: Be aware of the short head line of a few years ago. :eek:

·
Banned
161 Posts
Single-Hand Rods

I might not categorize the Winston BIIx as 'classic', but it is a capable spey casting rod. I have fished the RPLs, Scott G/ARCs, Winston IIx and a few others. The Scotts handle spey casts well as do the RPLS, but the rod I have had the most success with is the Boron IIx 10' 8wt. I coupled the rod with the Airlfo Delta 8/9 (single hand version) and am able to cover the coastal rivers quite well.

It would stand to reason that the 9'6" 6 wt. Boron IIx would perform similarly, but I have not put the rod to the water test.

jgs

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello Martin:

For single hand spey fishing, I'd recommend a rod that is not terribly fast or too stiff in the tip - when single hand spey casting the rod stores and releases energy much faster (than a two hander) anyway, and because there is often a bit more load on the casting arm (multiple planes of rod travel) compounded by hauling with the non-casting arm, a few things pop out on rods that tend to fish better:

1. medium or medium fast action
2. light (especially if you going over 9' 6")
3. accurate tracking tip section (torsionally rigid)

Nothing is more frustrating than casting a lousy single hand rod that handles single plane overhead casts well, but falls apart if asked to make directional changes (these rods tend to be torsionally sloppy).

Your individual casting style and skill will also factor into the ideal rod for you - an intermediate caster wil have more trouble casting an expert's favorite. Even within a single manufacturer's range of rods, there will be differences in a line-up... some rods are simply sweetyer than others.

Different folks love different rods... My favorite of favorites for fishing small steelhead is the Scott 1008 (10 foot 8 weight) A2 (a lower price point rod, though still completely hand made, perfect action). Paul Arden, one of the best single hand spey casters I have seen, absolutely raves about the Sage XP 590. Chris King, another phenomenal single hand spey caster loves the versatility of the Scott S3 9' 6" 6 weight (another one of my absolute favorite versatile single handed rods). For river trout fishing, you are extremely unlikely to go wrong with a medium action "classic" rod like the Scott G series, or Winston BL..

Linewise, I haven't really liked the Steelhead tapers, too much weight up front makes for an unforgiving anchor. The SA XXD lines are really great, versatile lines for floating line fishing. I designed the new XLT2 6 weight to fish with single handed rods as well (fits an 8 weight single hander), but alas, SA won't be making the 5 or 6 weight XLT2's until probably next year. For learning, you might want to make sure that you are not casting too short a head length line (I'd go minimum 40-50 feet) to get the proper feel of what's going on.

CAsting wise, the single best tip I can give you is to use your body rotation to help your forward and backcasts. It is very difficult to learn to spey cast a single hand rod with your arm in front of you and with no body turn.

Hope this is somewhat helpful...

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I've had some success and a lot of fun with a Fly Logic FLO+ 9' 7 weight and Airflo 40+ Expert line. Very, very nice!

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you for your comments.
When I said “classic” I was thinking about the single hand rod that anglers use for overhead cast rather then rod like ARC 11’ wt.6 which ,I think, was designed for single hand spey cast.

Martin

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I searched for years for the ideal 10' rod to spey cast 8 wt lines and heavy flies on coastal Oregon winter steelhead streams. I've tried most (not all) of the available rods. I admit with some hesitation that the best I've used was a friend's rod built on a Cabela's SLi 10' 8 wt blank. Light and responsive within usual fishing ranges, it possesses all the attributes that spey bubba lists, and is lighter in the hand than any rod mentioned so far. Its a wimpy single hand overhead rod, but great flex and light swing weight for single hand spey casting.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have a couple of the Scott ARC single handed rods before they stopped making them - a 9'9" 7 wt and 9 wt that I love for spey casting and overhead casting. I will often use a spey cast to aerialize the line (such as a snake) followed by one false cast and I am back fishing. And despite their relatively short heads I think the traditional Wulff TT lines are tough to beat - they shoot like crazy so you can switch cast a very long distance with them and get reasonable distances with most spey casts depending on the size bug you are throwing. Heavy bugs and you might want to cut the tip back a bit

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How well 9-10' single handed rods perform with sinking polyleader? Are they practical with polyleaders and which lines work the best with sinking polyleaders?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meiser 11' 7"

I know it is two hand, but it does double nicely. Polyleaders work very well. I have used a long belly WF #8, and the RIO SAS #8 with the rod. A really long fine front taper would not work well with the heavier polyleaders, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
one thought if you want a line for tips or poly leaders would be to try the new RIO OUTBOUND lines - they have a very blunt tip and short head (38') and work well as a skagit type line - very fine running line so once you launch, it should go a long ways!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Classic single hand

"The question is which rod in 9-9'6" foot length wt. 6 would do the best job with spey casting style( single spey , snake roll)."

I really like the Sharpe's Scotties 9' and 9'6" #6. The spliced version has the smoothest action flow for spey casting but the ferruled version is not far behind. These tapers were designed for this kind of fishing, not a compromise between overhand and spey casting.
And they fit anyone's definition of classic.

These come up on ebay fairly regularly and go for under $200, sometimes way under. It is hard to find them with the 6" butt extension which is ideal, but you could make one yourself.

Vinnie in Juneau

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I once had an Orvis Silver Label 10ft 8wt that was great for single speys. Fished an Orvis 8wt Sal/Steel taper on it. I also still have an old Sage RPL 11ft3in6wt that performs very well with a WC 5/6 on it. Not always doing traditional "spey" casts, but is alot of fun to fish big water with.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Someone lent me a Hardy brochure from 1926 and I was quite surprised to see that there was a instructor advertised there back then who offered instruction with the single handed rod. I assume that back then this would have been a 12' split cane rod, with a silk line and would therefore meet my definition of "classic". One assumes that the double-haul technique had not yet reached the UK (1930's casting competition?).

This summer I took out a rod that I haven't use a lot: a Thomas and Thomas Paradigm 907. I generally like a 9'6" rod, but this was a good rod for summer conditions and predominantly fish under 3 kgs. The expression "casts itself" came to mind several times, but with this action there was a need for an adapted double haul and I found that very often that there was not a need to use a haul. Reverse casts worked well - and with these I don't usually use a haul.

I'd like this as a 9'6" rod!

Perhaps Bruce and Walker have a longer rod with a through action?

Regards
Steven

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I forgot about the Paradigm. I have the Paradigm 907 as well, sweetness, and would also like to see a 9'6" or even 10' version. The 907 is the steelhead rod that I use in tight spaces for roll and spey casting when my 10' single hander is too much. I have always wondered what it would be like if T&T made 2 handers in the spirit of the Paradigms. Sweet sticks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Another single hander that handles spey casts VERY WELL is the Reddington 11'3" 6wt. I had Mieser put a short extention handle to increase the 'below reel grip.'

One of my fav. summer run rods ... and the base price of the rod was $159.00 :saeek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts