Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my trout spey rods, Sage one 3110 and TCX 5119, I have modern reels for them, a few Sage and Abels…..

But like their big bothers, which have Saracione Mark IV Salmon on, I always found those classic S handle reels are meant for them.

So, any classic S handle reels that are light weight enough to balance modern 3~5wt trout spey rods? They would be balanced well with reels around 5~6oz…….

I only noticed two models, so far, that I have been eyeing for quite some time.

1. The Peerless 3A, but unfortunately, it is discontinued.

2. The Saracione Mark IV Trout, 3 1/4”. Would it be too small or having coiling issue when using mono running line(OPST Lazer)?

Thoughts? Any other recommendation?

I noticed the Saracione have price increase recently….and I regret didn’t get another one earlier……..

Thanks.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,751 Posts
For my trout spey rods, Sage one 3110 and TCX 5119, I have modern reels for them, a few Sage and Abels…..

But like their big bothers, which have Saracione Mark IV Salmon on, I always found those classic S handle reels are meant for them.

I noticed the Saracione have price increase recently….and I regret didn’t get another one earlier……..

Thanks.
Spey co has some nice reels and are very customizable and a great value

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
462 Posts

So, any classic S handle reels that are light weight enough to balance modern 3~5wt trout spey rods? They would be balanced well with reels around 5~6oz…….

I only noticed two models, so far, that I have been eyeing for quite some time.

1. The Peerless 3A, but unfortunately, it is discontinued.

2. The Saracione Mark IV Trout, 3 1/4”. Would it be too small or having coiling issue when using mono running line(OPST Lazer)?

Thanks.

I would recommend the Saracione 3 1/4 MKIV or the Salmon Deluxe. These reels will suit a number of lines and coiling should not be an issue with these lighter weights. These reels will also open the door to using silk lines and cane rods which are a pleasure to spey cast and fish. I may be able to help you with your choice and have sent you a PM with some Saracione options.
Regards from the Restigouche.... JIm

·
Registered
392 Posts
Joe makes this in a "wide" version, I have one on a 3wt Anderson spey, in fact this is Joe's setup for trout spey.
Can't speak to coiling on mono running line.

·
Registered
RL Winston, Loop Classic, Hardy Perfect
924 Posts
I use the Loop Classic 4-6. It's a tiny bit tight for running line and a 23' head and tip, but you could always remove backing. When the rod is rigged and I have some of the line out, it's fine. But, with a tip on and everything reeled all the way in, you have to manage the placement to avoid it touching the cross frame bars. It also isn't a large arbor so you have to reel more to get the fish in. You could always use the 5-8, a size bigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello CrazyRyan,
Keep your eye out for a Bellinger or Robichaud. They are both discontinued, but available on the used market. They used to be bargains (IMHO) but are now going up in value - possibly in response to Saracione pricing.
Al Bellinger had a wonderful relationship with Saracione, and that is reflected in the quality of his reels.
Good luck

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,503 Posts
Don’t overlook Bo Mohlin reels. They are hard to come by but they fit the bill nicely. I have a Trophy Trout which is a 3 1/2” model and works lovely on a 11’ Meiser trout spey.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don’t overlook Bo Mohlin reels. They are hard to come by but they fit the bill nicely. I have a Trophy Trout which is a 3 1/2” model and works lovely on a 11’ Meiser trout spey.
I very much second this. they're bench made (without cnc) with most if not all manufacturing done by one man, under one roof.

Here's some more bench made classic s handle reels in the 1000-2100 price range

the ted godfrey reels would be my first choice, if i couldn't afford the sara deluxe
Paradigm Reels
Also if you willing to go up to 3000 the steelhead model is also 3 1/2. Here's mine

IMG_0103.JPG

Another more affordable option the gody is a shamburg bench

There's also a brand new bench made 100% hofe replica nickel silver and ebonite side plate from Lacey rod co. The price is insanely low for what you get. The reel is 3 1/2
165122439_238830834591358_2370884371458859288_n.jpg
165571158_238830631258045_8182973858219269574_n.jpg

·
Blix
99 Posts
Loop Classic Sea-Trout 5/8 is perfect for #4 and #5 two-hand rods. 3.5 inches. Easy to find. Ported or solid options.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Bo is still making reels, he has a Facebook page as well as a distributor Erik Van Den Berg who's normally on the Facebook Fly Reels private forum. For a time there were a lot of these on the Angling Auctions bi-yearly auctions, I got a couple of these for a song, under £300 each. Nice, solid bench reels, though a little on the heavy side, especially the salmon ones.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I very much second this. they're bench made (without cnc) with most if not all manufacturing done by one man, under one roof.

Here's some more bench made classic s handle reels in the 1000-2100 price range

the ted godfrey reels would be my first choice, if i couldn't afford the sara deluxe
Paradigm Reels
Also if you willing to go up to 3000 the steelhead model is also 3 1/2. Here's mine

View attachment 378841

Another more affordable option the gody is a shamburg bench

There's also a brand new bench made 100% hofe replica nickel silver and ebonite side plate from Lacey rod co. The price is insanely low for what you get. The reel is 3 1/2
View attachment 378845 View attachment 378843
Nice reels.
I used to collect Godfrey reels, I had 3 but eventually moved them on. They're very pretty, but I'm not convinced on how robust they are. For me, the drag, even the Paradigm drum drag, was more of a noise control, there was no difference between the lightest to the heaviest setting, same with the Perfectionist (3" Raised Pillar). They seemed to be more of an overrun prevention than a drag.
Mark Shamburg has just released a 3 1/2" All black with brass accents special edition of his St. Mark, I bet that would be a great trout spey reel.
There's also the Olson G&P in a 3.5" but the wait is pretty long for one of these. I spoke to a NZ fisherman on another forum who ordered one for this purpose.
Murray Stewart also has a 3 1/4" and a 3 1/2" Bogdan styled reel.
Saracione MkV 3.5" would be another choice in non-bench reels.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe makes this in a "wide" version, I have one on a 3wt Anderson spey, in fact this is Joe's setup for trout spey.
Can't speak to coiling on mono running line.
Hi mate, what line do you use on your 3wt spey?
I used to prefer the thinnest Rio Connectcore running line with heads. Sometimes I'd fish with the 6wt Single Handed Spey.
But after I get used to mono I like the OPST lazer line more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use the Loop Classic 4-6. It's a tiny bit tight for running line and a 23' head and tip, but you could always remove backing. When the rod is rigged and I have some of the line out, it's fine. But, with a tip on and everything reeled all the way in, you have to manage the placement to avoid it touching the cross frame bars. It also isn't a large arbor so you have to reel more to get the fish in. You could always use the 5-8, a size bigger.
Thanks. I think the 5-8 would work for both the TCX5119 and One3110, with the 3110 feeling a tad butt heavy.

Does the clicking sound of the 4-6 sounds as loud as others, such as a Saracione?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And, appreciate for all the replies.

As for Bo Mohlin reels, I love their leader reel case, which Saracione doesn't have (even the Deluxe model now....) Though I have never successfully got in touch with Bo. Maybe I will look for second hand. Which size is appropriate? The Trout Wide, I guess? And how is their click sound? Is it as nice and loud as Saracione?

I ll keep an eye on others second hand offerings as well.

Meanwhile, if I go the Saracione route, I am deciding between the Mark IV Trout 3 1/4" (6.3oz) and Mark V Salmon 3 1/4" (9oz), so I took out the two trout spey rods to test about the balance again yesterday.

The baby Death Star 5119. Most often I have very light 4~6oz reel on it but it could take a 9oz Super 9/10 and the balance still feels good. A 10oz plus Super 12 starts feel butt heavy, though.

The weird child is the One Trout Spey 3110. While all the TCX having uplocking reelseat, the One has downlocking, and the blank is very light weight. The heaviest reel that still feels right is the Super 6, which measured at around 7oz loaded with lines.

So if I am going to have ONE reel for both rods, I have to keep the reel weight at 7oz at most (which cross out the Saracione Mark V 3 1/4" Salmon, 9oz....)

The 6.3oz Trout seems working for both, though capacity might be too tight for the 5119?

Or get the Salmon for the 5119 only, first?

Which one would be the better/ more versatile reel for the money spent? Which would be your pick?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,503 Posts
The Mohlin’s are loud but not quite Saracione loud. A faint click on the inbound and a nice ratchet on the outgoing. Definitely a different frequency than my Sara.

·
Administrator
19,147 Posts
The Mohlin’s are loud but not quite Saracione loud. A faint click on the inbound and a nice ratchet on the outgoing. Definitely a different frequency than my Sara.
What are they like compared to an Olson??

Mike

·
Registered
RL Winston, Loop Classic, Hardy Perfect
924 Posts
Thanks. I think the 5-8 would work for both the TCX5119 and One3110, with the 3110 feeling a tad butt heavy.

Does the clicking sound of the 4-6 sounds as loud as others, such as a Saracione?
It has a growl for sure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts