Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy oh boy, I really did it this time..... O.K. first of all let me say that I meant no disrespect towards Dana or to infer that he is less than honest in his reviews and endorsements of equipment on this site. That being said I feel that a little background might be warranted. Last week I posted trying to get information from any T&T owners about their experiences with a few of the different models T&T spey rods. I got some really great feedback and appreciate all of those that were kind enough to spend the time to post replies. I also read Dana's review of the rod 1510-5 and was very impressed with both rod and the review, so I ordered one. Later in the week I e-mailed a friend and mentioned having bought a T&T, and my friend asked me why I chose T&T and I mentioned that they are well respected in the industry, they are endorsed/used by some of the most skilled speycasters out there, and recent reviews (Dana's review being one of them) of the rod "spoke highly of them". Now my friend who works closely with/for a major rod manufacturer that doesn't have any rods that have been reviewed on the site yet e-mails me:

"interesting that he doesn't have a bad thing about any of the rods that
people send him..."

so I e-mail him back:

"are you making this **** up, read the orvis review. I attached a portion of it below, douche!

Portion of Dana's review:
I wasn’t really excited about the reel seat and the butt cap. Aesthetically the seat is pleasing: Orvis describes it as “salmon walnut wood and gold anodized aluminum” and it certainly is one of the more attractive seats I’ve seen on production Speys. It is downlocking and has a sliding hood backed up by a single locknut. While the seat is pretty, the single locknut on the rod I tested tended to come loose after a dozen casts or so. I hope that Orvis will remedy this problem in the future by either installing a second nut to back up the first or placing an O-ring at the contact point between the slider and the nut. In the meantime if you encounter this problem it can be remedied with a turn or two of electrical tape.

Diligence Peter!"

I haven't heard a reply back from Peter as of yet.

So I was actually a little serious in my initial inquire as to weather any owners of the reviewed rods, who have had the luxury of spending more than a day or two on the water with the equipment in question cared to chime in with their experiences. BUT, I was also playing devils advocate and judging from some of the replies to my initial posting this is a concern that others share as well.

I think that this site is an excellent resource and I enjoy coming on and participating, and am very grateful to all of those whose hard work and effort keep it up and running. So again my apologies.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
It seems that your friend is of the opinion that a rod review should reflect the casting preferences of the test caster as to whether he would use it or not. And might be a little miffed at not having Dana review his a rod from his favorite rod manufacturer.

The fact that I like fast recovering, stiff, powerful, progressively loading with increased casting load rods with a tip that doesn't collapse with spey casting or have the rod bend to the cork when casting if included in a rod review would only tell a person how the rod being reviewed compared to my preferences for rod action, power, etc. However, unless someone has taken the time to read the various posts I've made on rods and my preferences, or knows me and my preferences, this information based on my preferences would be of little value as to whether a rod was good or not.

For examply, I personally don't like the Sage Traditional 2-handers, they are too slow in recovering, too soft (flexible), bend all the way to the cork under load, and don't have the reserve power I like in a rod's butt section. However, this doesn't mean they are bad rods. It only means they are not for me.

By the same token, because I like fast recovering, stiff, powerful, progressively loading rods with a tip that doesn't collapse or that doesn't bend to the cork when under casting load, the T&T's GLX's, Loop, Green Series, and Hardy GEMS are right up my alley. Again this only means that for those who like rods with the characteristics I perfer, they will like these rods better than the slower, less stiff, less powerful ones.

And as these two examples clearly show, neither fast, stiff or slow, soft, or for that matter, medium stiff, moderately recovering rods can be termed good or bad on the basis of their action and power. Nor can rods be said to be good or bad based upon the belly length lines or line wts they cast well. Likewise, rods can't be termed good or bad based on the rod's length. Some of us like long rods, some short, and some the in-between length rods. Same with line sizes.

As was mentioned on your other thread dealing with this, it has been a long time since I've cast a rod (2-hand or single-hand) that was bad, unless it was one of the super cheapos from K-Mart, Wal-Mart, or other discount chain.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Surfer 1...

I haven't heard a reply back from Peter as of yet.
You have heard back fom me. As I said in my e-mail to you, I stand by my response to your post in the other thread.

I am very busy and do not have time for word games. If you want to discuss in a positive way the merits of any CND rods, talk about any spey tackle I sell, or talk about arranging a test drive of a CND rod so you can do your own rod review feel free to write back. Anything other then that will be heading to file 13.
Take care, MJC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reading/critical thinking skills, or lack thereof!

Hey Poppy
The Peter I mention in my post is my friend Peter, not you! Did you understand what was going on there? Sounds like you are very confused! I don't care to patronize your store or continue any dialogue with you concerning my posts. Have a nice Weekend.

Michael

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey surfer 1...

You might think I'm confused but I'm not.
I don't care to patronize your store or continue any dialogue with you concerning my posts. Have a nice Weekend.
I can dig it. Goodby

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Everybody calm down :razz:

I think mainly what we have here is a perception problem with what Dana's (at least in my mind) reviews are all about. They are not meant to be a thumbs up/down type review. Really can anyone honestly say those 1 paragraph reviews you see in magazines are really all that helpful? I mean not all of us like the same type of actions so if someone is waxing poetic about a GLX and you do not like fast rods what good does that do you? The reviews sound great but you go out and pick one up and then realize it does not fit your style of casting. Those kinds of reviews are pointless IMHO.

As people have mentioned there are not very many bad rods out there. Certainly none of the rods in Dana's reviews can be said to be outright crap rods.

Not sure how advanced a caster you are but as one makes progress as a caster they start to prefer spey rods by actions and lines they can handle. That is where Dana's reviews shine.

For instance I like medium-fast action rods that load deeply and have good reserve power in the butt. I can read Dana's reviews and see I probably will not like some of the Loops or T&Ts. I would not like the Derk Brown because I like a more balanced rod that is not tip heavy.

However the CNDs, Loop Yellow, Fly Logic and Lamiglass sound right up my alley.

A FFF certified caster can pick up any rod and cast it well. What good would it do for Dana to impose his personal tastes in rod actions and force them on us with a rating system. One persons rating system will always be different than the next guy.

That is my take away from the reviews and if you step back and look at them in that light you will find some very useful info to use when you are out looking for a new rod.

Another thing:

"I apologize if this has already been brought up, but I didn't feel like doing a search."

I think you will find many discussions on all the rods he reviewed in the archives by folks who own them. That is the great thing about the forum, somebody has probably commented at one point or another about almost every rod made. The search feature is a very valuable tool.

-sean

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yep and they do cast very well. I just do not like the way it feels in my hands. Personal thing but they are great casters.

-sean

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Sean,

That's cool. The rod is definately in a distinct catagory. I'm really looking forward to casting a Fly Logic rod. They are like hens teeth up here.

Cheers N I :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts