Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Clan across the pond!

I am happy to say that the FedEx man was good to me yesterday. One of the packages was from Harry Jamieson and now we have six new Clan rods to play with. I am going to be representing Clan on this side of the pond. The Irish Angler now has Clan rods. I have a 17' 7/8, 17' 9/10, 15' 10/11, 15' 9/10, ans 13' 8/9 for now. If you would like to see what a rod crafted on the River Spey by a Master Rod Builder feel like please give me a call or email and you are welcome to try one for a few days. I will have the 17' 7/8 out on the river tomorrow. I will bring a couple to Aaron's Saturday gathering for the next few weeks as well.

These beauties bend!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Good to hear you finally got them!!! Looking forward to trying these out.I have yet to cast a clan rod I did not like :D

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
15' 9/10 and 17' 9/10

I have spent the last two days fihsing and testing these two rods and all I can say is WOW!. I have been using a Snowbee 3D 9/10(618 gr) and 11/12(740 gr) for now. When I get the new IGS I will put the 85 foot tournamnent lines to good use. Both of these rods cast very well with the 640 gr line and both will easily take even more weight if you are so inclined. The thing I will say is that even with the lighter line no effort if required on my part to cast the entire line. All I do is steer the rod around the loop and stay out of the way. The line flows out over the water like it was shot from a cannon and lays out perfectly straight on the water time after time. There is a big difference between the 15 and the 17 and maybe Harry can comment a little to this end. The 15' has even more power in reserve and a bit faster in the tip. I have no doubt you can throw an entire XLT with this baby when you need to. The othe ramazing thing is how light these rods are for 15 and 17 foot lengths. I can fish either one all day long.

These Clan rods are all the best you could ever want in long rods for a long belly lines. Feel free to call and take one for a couple days and see what you think.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we tried three rods--an 18ft 10/11, a 15ft 9/10, and a 11ft2in 7. I loved the 18ft and the 11ft 2in rods; we really didn't get to give the 15ft rod a fair trial as we didn't have a matching line with us--ours were either too light or too heavy, so I'm looking forward to casting it again.

On the 18ft rod we used the XLT 9/10 (original version), the Partridge Ian Gordon 10/11 and a customized XLT that Gordon Macleod (speyghillie) had along and the rod really rocked. I was surprised at how light this rod feels. Gordon explained that Clan uses a different blank rolling process than many other manufacturers allowing the creation of lighter blanks. I would characterize the action of the 18ft rod to be a classic UK spey action--a medium action rod with loads of reserve power in the butt. Long casts were easily handled, but the rod also performed beautifully on mid range fishing length casts. These casts in the 70ft - 100ft range were truly effortless. I had visions of waving this rod over the lower Graveyard Pool on the Thompson.

The 11ft2in was simply a gas to cast. This rod has a faster action without being stiff. It has a cool 2-piece grip (looks like a fighting handle on a saltwater rod, similar to what you may have seen in the Michael Evans videos) that really transmits the feel of the loading butt section to the caster. We used a prototype 7wt long belly line and it worked great.

As Gordon makes a few trips a year to BC I hope to have another opportunity to cast more of the Clan line.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Oh no! Another one discovering the value of a modern, light weight 18' rod for big rivers and long casts.

But we all know such rods are overkill and such prodigous casts totally uneccessary when persuing steelhead. Afterall, if you can't hook them with 65' casts, you are overcasting the lies anyway. :lildevl:

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Overkill

If my clients can cast 40 feet with accuracy I can put them on fish. But I always return to what Derek taught me which was by casting a hundred feet downstream and 30 feet across I can control the swing of the fly better than 30 feet down and 30 feet across. And as Dana said, there is always Graveyard......

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Dana,
Just got home, its 5am, bloody jet lag, glad you liked the rods, and could tell you really enjoyed the 18ft clan.
Harry has a whole range of hand built rods , so next time i will take over alot more, think i am back over in sept, so will speak to Harry (not seen him yet), and arrange things.
Going to be fishing on Vancouver Island, and around Chilliwack, so i am sure we can do something, and have a day or two.
Anyway going down the river with the dog, a 41lb Atlantic salmon was caught the other day, seems to be some big fish on the Spey this year.
Glad you liked the hat, and will sort something out for Sept with Harry. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts