Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about trying circle hooks for Atlantic Salmon flies, both tubes and "regular" flies... The whole idea of the circle-hook, as I understand it, is to let the fish turn and hook it self against the tension of the line, letting the hook slide into the corner of the mouth. As this is exactly the way we hook salmon, not striking but just firmly raising the rod when we feel the weight of the fish, a circle-hook might do the trick?

I have never seen anyone use them in Scandinavia but I have seen some fly-patterns dressed on circle-hooks. For Chinook I presume??

Anyone out there who has experience or ideas?

Best rgds / PJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
worth a try but i wouldnt use them if they are stainless steel, if broken off, I would think they would take forever to remove from the fishes mouth,,,or worse,,,back, head, tail!!
Anyone know for sure how long a SS hook will remain in a fresh fish?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thought about it myself, but I have heard unhooking fish to be returned can be tricky. Anyone have any experience of fishing catch and release with circle hooks?

·
Registered
141 Posts
use a bronzed freshwater circle hook to avoid having them wear semi-permanent jewlery. i've only used barbless circle hooks so far on salmon/steelhead, and they aren't hard at all to remove. they also work wonders on bass and carp, and aren't too bad as far as removing goes, and that's with barbed hooks.

if you have lightning reflexes and strike the moment you feel a hit.... don't bother. if you have nerves of steel and can wait for the turn, then you should have no problems.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sunray,

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion, but I would not think using circle hooks for swinging flies, Tubes, wadingtons or otherwise, would be a good idea. You have to think about what the circle hook was originally developed for. They are a catch and release hook for bait fisherman (and please don’t think I am condemning them because of this). The design of the hook, with it’s turned in hook point, is to keep it from hooking up in the fish’s gullet and not necessarily to lodge in the corner of the fishes mouth. When the fish swallows the bait and you set the hook, it should slide out of its throat and hopefully catch the fish’s lip, consequently inflicting less damage to the fish.

I have used circle hooks for saltwater fly-fishing with very limited success. I hope some other saltwater fly fisherman can chime in with their experiences, as mine are rather limited. It is my opinion that using them for swinging flies would seriously impact your hookup ratio.

Charlie

·
Registered
55 Posts
i've used circle hooks almost exclusively for the two years in saltwater. they simply make it easier after my accident. i have not noticed any decrease in hookups but you do have to wait to strike until you feel the fish's weight. ever so often i will get a fish that hooks itself deeply but mostly i get lip sets. even with something like a jack crevalle, which has lips like the sole of an old tennis shoe, i've had good hook sets and easy releases. i do pinch the barbs down and favor either mustad signatures or the gamakasu sc16's. the owner circle hooks work but as they are offset they tend to spin. i haven't used these hooks much on tube flies but the shorter shanked varieties should work ok. i don't find that the circles are particularly effective on poppers, something about the proportions just doesn't look right and i distrust the gap but maybe that's just me. it's a long way to salmon water from here but i would suppose the circles would work well there but i have no empirical evidence.
jack

·
Registered
352 Posts
circle hooks

I have used them often in the salt and as others have said you must wait on the strike. They work fine although I might be just to used to setting quicker. I certainly have missed fish because I couldn't wait. My personal take on them for salmon and steelhead is that they wouldn't be my first choice, others may disagree.

jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to you all for the input!
Seems there is quite a difference in opinions out there, but I would be surprised if there wasn´t...
I´ll give Circle-hooks a shot this summer, anyway. Sorry to say that you all have to wait 6-7 months for any feedback! ( it´s a bit chilly outside for the moment.. :Eyecrazy: )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts