Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will call our local Fire Guys later this AM but thought I'd toss out the question. Our local fire department will come out and replace all the batteries in your fire alarms, all you have to do is have the proper number of new 9 volters.

Had to chuckle as they came out this afternoon .... the whole fire station crew ON THE FIRE TRUCK! These guys knew how to make an 'entrance.' Kidding aside a great group of fellows. Anyway, bat's changed out, 'Saw all your fly rods and where do you fish on the Rogue?'

Gave them 'stand on this rock' as to several runs here on the Rogue; fun conversation. But back on point: DAMNED THINGS ARE 'CHURPING!' Was told they will do that for a few minutes but we're now at FIVE HOURS.

Anyone have any idea what's causing that?

Fred

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
I've only ever heard of a chirping fire alarm when the batteries are low on power Fred. They'll chirp once when a new battery is installed, but I've never had one chirp more than once. Were they new batteries? Merry Christmas BTW...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Fred,
Try replacing the "chirpers" with other, new batteries. Sometimes you get a lemon/dud in a package.

Thinking about heading your way again in early Feb. We like getting away from winter over here, and trying for fish over there! Will advise!

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,850 Posts
Smke Detectors May

Need to be replaced, they are a consumable item and do not last forever

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was my first thought too Stumpy.

Fred,
Try replacing the "chirpers" with other, new batteries. Sometimes you get a lemon/dud in a package.

Thinking about heading your way again in early Feb. We like getting away from winter over here, and trying for fish over there! Will advise!
May well have to go get 6 new batteries but what are the odds of six brand new Energizer Max (right out their package) all being 'bad?' In this case the odds may well be 100%.

Cool on the trip out our way, our fish usually don't show up in any numbers (above Medford) until that time of the year through early April. After that just the odd one as the rest (including Summer Fish) have done their spawning bit and headed back out. Before Feb., stick to waters in/below Grants Pass.

Fred

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhhhhh, standing on step ladders is not my big thing.

There should be a button on the detector that will turn off the chirp. Just press it once and it should shut off.
There's a 'test button' on the bottom each unit that I pushed with a broom handle .... GOD THOSE THINGS ARE LOUD and appear to be inter-wired. One goes off and it appears all of them go off. But 'no joy' in shutting off the 'CHURP.'

Any idea where the button may be? Worst case is I'll head to Lowe's and take apart one of these things and see what's inside. Not at the moment; pouring down rain backed by a strong wind.

Will also try Google to see if I can get some sort of reference.

fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't, but my neighbor did.

Well Fred, did you get it figured out?

Christian
They could hear the damned fire alarm 'CHURPS' next door! Neighbor came over a couple of days ago, with a handful of new bat's, and replaced every one the fire department had put in. No 'dissing' the fire fellows as I'd purchased all the new bat's.

BLESSED SILENCE!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Next thing I have to deal with is 'Mz. Turkey' has taken to sleeping on the living room couch. So much for my clean folded laundry; back into the washer and do all that again. She and I must "discuss" where it is, is not, appropriate to sleep.

·
Registered
184 Posts
maybe they put in old ones so they could come back and ask for fishing spots again

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Naa.

I had just purchased 6 new 9volts. The 'rock to stand on' was my free-be. Looking back and a group of firemen paying total attention as I described just where to park and walk to 'this rock' and 'fish, they be,' will be here. Not there, but here.

If there be fish. That part I can't control.:rolleyes:

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
There are some pretty inexpensive battery testers out there. Harbor Freight, Lowes, Hubbards Hardware all should have them for a couple of bucks.

Let me know if you need a hand Fred - I'm 15 minutes away!

·
R J Ruwe
260 Posts
Lay a couple of TV trays on the couch and the dog will get the message and stay off. I have to do that when I leave my dog alone.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good thought RW.

Lay a couple of TV trays on the couch and the dog will get the message and stay off. I have to do that when I leave my dog alone.
My 'laundry' is back in the washer ... probably full of dog hair. Mz Turkey sheds like an old rug. At the moment she's behind me with her nose stuck up against an open window. Interesting to 'adapt' to an 'adopt.' :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
chirps

Fred,

You're hearing's too good. My army days messed up my hearing for certain ranges of sound so I don't hear the damn things unless I am standing under them. WHen I'm on the phone with my buddies, they all complain about the crickets at my house.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually I really do need your help.

There are some pretty inexpensive battery testers out there. Harbor Freight, Lowes, Hubbards Hardware all should have them for a couple of bucks.

Let me know if you need a hand Fred - I'm 15 minutes away!
Need to replace the air filter for my furnace system but that requires a walk (short) up a step ladder to get to the thing (I have). Doctor types say "Don't even thing about it!" Parkinson's is a pain in the a$$; if you have 'it' you understand. Today you feel 'good,' tomorrow it comes at you in waves and you're a new born kitten vis a vis physical control. Well you don't shxt your pants but you think about how you're going to get to the bathroom and then get back out of the damned thing. :rolleyes:

Call me when you have a few minutes 944 0404

Fred

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fred,

You're hearing's too good. My army days messed up my hearing for certain ranges of sound so I don't hear the damn things unless I am standing under them. WHen I'm on the phone with my buddies, they all complain about the crickets at my house.
Now that made me laugh!! Good on You!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts