Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Sirs:

I write from Mexico, I am a proficient fly fishing addict fishing anything (but streams, since there are few or none), I have intentions of buying a long rod for longer overhead casting in the surf generally, I am tempted to buy the longest rod available, but since I have never touched a spey rod, I don´t want to make a mistake and endup buying an expensive and not so useful length or line weight.

Also if anybody can help on the lines as well, I understand the spey cast, but do not think I will be making it right away, so eventhough I will have to use a spey line, which line do you think will help me cover my initial overhead casting needs.

I am considering a 10 wt rod somewhere between 11 and 17 feet.

Thanks in Advance to anybody who might be willing to help.

Sincerely

Jose Benavente

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hola Jose...

Welcome to the Spey Clave. There are several good rod choices for what you have in mind. A couple that I know a little about are the
CND Atlantis ($495.00), the TFO 12X12 ($299.95). Both of these rods are in the 11' to 12' range and are built for two handed rod overhead casting and work very well for what you want to do. For lines there are a lot of choices but for starters I would be looking at shooting heads in 11wt and 12wt and 30' to 45' in length. Here are some links that will furnish some great line info and wet your apetite to find out a lot more.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=13917&highlight=2HandtheSalt

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=19506

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=16016&highlight=hand+salt

There is a ton of great info on this subject posted on both of these sites. Two names to look for that have posted a lot of good info on this subject are "Juro" and "2HandTheSalt". Utilize the search feature. It will be well worth your while. Have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MJC, more doubts

Thank You very much for your answer, I have read a lot of the info in this and other forums, however I am still intrigued about the distance I could get with a longer 17 feet or so rod, do you think going this long would difficult the use of the rod for an overhead cast?

Or why is the 12.5 feet recomendation, for ease of handling the fish (tip of rod possibly breaking!), for balance of the rod while stripping?

Any way, I am very thankful for your comments, as well as anybody else´s

Also what is the difference of a greased line spey rod, is it just a different line, or you actually have to put something in the guides for the rod to work fine?

Sincerely

Jose Benavente

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy,

One reason for the shorter rod is ease of stripping the line back. The two hand overhead "jedi masters" seem to feel 11' to 12' is the best all around length. You can use any length rod you want. I hear some of those Aussie's are using BIG sticks off the jetties. I don't live close to the salt anymore so I'm not fishing this way. I am just going by what people that I know to be very proficent at the two hand overhead have posted for the benifit of the rest of us.

As to the "grease line" rod, that term might be described as good advertising.
Fishing "greased line" is a term used to describe a method of fishing for Atlantic salmon and now steelhead. One place this type of fishing is talked about is the book "Greased Line Fishing for Salmon and Steelhead" by Jock Scott. Greased line fishing is normally associated with a long light rod used in the summer and fall. In reality any fly/spey rod can be used to fish with the "greased line" method at any time of the year. Here is a link that explains this a little further. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=18059&highlight=greased+line

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Again

Thank You MJC:

I appreciate all the answers, and knowledge I have received from you, I will definitely buy a not so long rod between 11 and 12 feet, what do you think about the next:

GLX Highlander Green 9 - 10 Med-Stiff Fast 1001 11491-01 $750.00 12.5´Gloomis, which I can get at a preference price.

Do you think this would be too stiff for overhead casts?, or too heavy?.

Now for the line, what do you think would work out for me, I have seen scandinavian, skagit, etc. shooting heads, how many grains.

I understand the basics of the lines, but do not know well what would work well for casting in the surf as I will with overhead casts. Etc.

Please let me know,

Thanks a Lot (Again!)

Sincerely

Jose Benavente

1 - 5 of 5 Posts