Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing cane for many years, and still do it, but have resently bought my first "modern" rod.

This is a Clan rod 16½" class 8 to 10, brand new rod which has been standing in the tackel shop for 4 years- no one has interest in the rod.

I have tried it with different classes of lines from DT8 ,DT 10, Long belley 10, and Windcutter 8/9/10, but do not feel that any of them suits the rod.They may be to short.

If anyone who is familiar with this rood could aforward some advise for prober linespecifications I will apresiate it.

Personally I prefer a full line DT as this after my oppinion is the most suitable line for spey casting.

As for my cane rods , which I still use each season I also need to get new lines DT.
Could anyone forward where I can get DT lines class 9,10,11 and 12 , which is the ones I have used, but they are more or less worn out.

Lars

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Lars....get ahold of Jack Cook of the IrishAngler.com. He had the Clan rods at the Clearwater Clave...and if memory serves me the 17 foot Clan rod I cast was loaded with a Caron line...and I liked the slower action of the Clan rod matched with this line. It loaded nicely and reminds me of cane

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Lars,

I borrowed Sven Kalmar's 17' Clan sometime during last year, but I can't for the life of me remember which line I thought was best on that. I probably didn't try a DT10! How about a Mid-spey or Triangle Taper Spey? I think that I also had an 8/9 XLT on it as well. For a specific line recommendation try Harry Jameson at Clan.

40 yard DT lines are scarce on this side of the Atlantic.

I presume that you are based in Trøndelag: not surprising that the rod was not sold there. Not many Norwegians favour that type of action in my experience - as you know, most fish with short shooting heads.

Regards
Steven

·
Registered
56 Posts
line for clan rod

I would second what has already been said and contact harry at clan rods if you email him I am sure he will advise you he is agreat guy and he made the rod .John Norris of penrith England sell a full range of salmon Dt lines #8-#12 In floating ,intermediate and fast sink which are 35yds long I think and are very reasonable in price -I am sure you have a great rod with the clan hope this is of help steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts