Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rodbuilder
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search of another rod for GL Steelhead. I currently have a Sage 7136 Traditional but would like something a little faster, the Sage is kinda soft for my stroke. Heard alot of good stuff about Burkheimers, do they live up to the rep.? Thinking about a 12'5" or 13'3" 7 wt. any suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
To consider

Greg - there are a number of great choices for you to consider. Meiser, a board sponsor has a number of rods in this category. CND is working that way. The Skagit is a great rod, but may be a little heavier than you want (8/9 midspey) and skagit style heads. Also, Lamiglass apparently has a new series of rods that are making people take notice.

Try to get to a shop with some to test cast or a speyclave in the spring to find out what you like best.

·
Registered
630 Posts
A couple of weeks ago

I cast a 13' 7/8 CND Custom that is light in the hand, progressive, but nicely quick to recover. One of the nicest rods I've cast in that range, and the price is about 1/2 of the Sage. There are CND dealers on this forum, as well as listed on CND's website. I strongly suggest casting before buying. Good luck!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
CND, Meiser, Loop (yellow or black series) as well as Sage and Burkeimer come to mind as makers of rods that are a bit faster than the 7136 you have. The first thing you need to decide is how much faster a rod you want. Perhaps all you really are looking for is a medium, medium-slow rod with reserve power in its butt.

If you want a true fast rod, you need to look at T&T, Loop Green Series, or GLX.

The best thing to do is cast as many different makers rods and different series of rods from the same maker as possible in order to nail down what you are looking for in rod action.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Greg, if I were in your boat, I'd give Bob Meiser's rods a VERY long look. I was at his shop last night, and wiggled a few of the current sticks he's making for folks here and elsewhere and we picked a blank and some components for my next rod.

Some observations:

Y'all need to know that going to Bob's "garage" is like visiting the North Pole. The toys in there are incredible, and he should supply drool bibs to all visitors.

Meiz is what I would call a "Long Rod Shaman." He can talk to you and ask you questions that seem tangential at times and then, like magic and with decisive purpose can pull the piece or component from the magical cabinet that is exactly what you envisioned. I'm primarily a single hand guy, but do occasionally use both, and the Rogue, IMHO, doesn't regularly require a full blown two hander, thus the soon to be created 10'9" 7/8 switch with a permanent lower handle will be ideal for me...

If I sound like a fan, know that I was one before I even met the guy a couple years ago in the local mall, and have never been disappointed. Sure, Meiz builds top-notch rods, but he's also in a class of people that I call "really good humans."

...and the rod you get is distinctively yours, not at all like the next guy's on the rack, and that makes a difference, especially on the days when it's about fishing, not catching.

But I'm goin on a bit much...

-G

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
hey hey, put it down!

hey, that could be my rod you were
wiggling! ... shoo! shoo! Put it back down!

I hope you washed your hands!!!! :)

-Sing

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't worry, I only licked MY blank.

Although Bob's shop is like an operating room... felt like I should wear latex gloves and a mask. You're a lucky person to have one in the works!

-G

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
gstrand,

And one of the best things about Meiser's rods is that he sells true custom rods at normal factory prices. And he can (as you already did) sell you the blank and components so you can put the rod together yourself. He is a true class act and well worth the effort to talk to about a rod. The range of actions he has available is astounding.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sure enough, and Bob is going to build mine. I've built them before, but would take years to even remotely come close to his skills.

I'd venture to say he's going to be busier than ever for a long time, rightly so.

-G

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
factory rod price????

Bob's price is way below that of Sage and T&T!
eBay prices don't count as effective retail price.
I'd like to know, which premium factory rod has
aesthetics like a Meiser rod?

OK, I'll stop here before my over complementing loses credibility. :)

-S

·
Registered
235 Posts
rod choice....

I myself prefer the Sage brown 12'6" 6wt for the GL region. An overall good rod for most applications. It is definitly worth a look if you can find one.

The 5210 seems like it might just not do the job for spey fishing, although on smaller streams it can come alive. I casted one and didn't seem to like it as much, but who knows that is my opinion.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Sage 6126

I myself prefer the Sage brown 12'6" 6wt for the GL region. An overall good rod for most applications. It is definitly worth a look if you can find one.
There is one For Sale in the classifieds.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Greg, seems like everybody has a favorite. My question to you are how are you fishing (swinging sinktips, indicator fishing.....) How deep do you need to be sinking and how far are you casting. What is the main purpose of this rod going to be. Answering these questions might help narrow your search.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the Winston IBIS 12'6" 6/7 would fit the need. It handles 6/7 short and mid-length lines, with or without heads, very nicely.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Well Andre,
I have spent a considerable time fishing the great lakes tribs, a little west coast, a whole lotta western trout fishing. I love to swing, but when in Rome!!! And I am not the one looking for this rod. Just trying to be helpful. Thanks for the giggle though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts