Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the art of spey casting and recently slung a bead-headed streamer into the tip of my Z-Axis 7136. There are two chips in the varnish that wrap completely around the rod but don't seem to be affecting the graphite. It was bought used without a warranty card and is in great shape other than this nick. Is there a way to seal the chips to keep them from getting worse? Does the tip need to be cut below the damage and topped with a new guide?

On a side note, I've been considering replacing this with a 12'6" or switch rod as I often struggle to distance myself from trees and foliage. Any idea what this might go for in this condition and if repaired by Sage?

The water here on the North Umpqua is about a 9/10 right now and I'd hate to limited to my single hander for much longer :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
Is that epoxy chipped / missing just around the thread wraps below the tip top? If so, reapply on the wrap and fish is my thinking. If the tip breaks, grab another tip top for the time being and when convenient send it off to Sage. Maybe even keep a spare (slightly larger) tip top and adhesive with you just in case while on the river. My guess is they'll handle the new tip section for you under their typical warranty policy. I believe it's $85 now. If that's just on the wrap I think you could fish it as is for now if you wanted to. I don't own a Z Axis to check and can't determine from the pic if that's bare graphite below the tip top or dark thread / wrap with the epoxy missing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just fish it like it is until it breaks and then send it in to Sage. There's a good chance it may never break on you as long as the actual graphite isn't compromised. This is the worst time of year to send in broken rods because everyone sends them in during the off-season/winter; you'd be parting with it for potentially 2 months. Since you're just learning, you're bound to smack the rod a couple more times too...get the kinks out of your cast and then send it in, they'll clean it up for you and you'll be in business.

Do not chop the tip and put a new tip-top on...that will give Sage justification to void your warranty, especially considering you aren't the original owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the input guys. Montanafos, what do you mean when you refer to reapplying the wrap? Sorry for my ignorance but this is the first rod I've damaged worth saving. The graphite appears to be undamaged so it sounds like I should be in good shape. I'll pick up a rod repair kit and keep it with my gear. Sleestak, that's some good advice. I'll limit that option to emergencies on the water.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,258 Posts
The extent of damage is hard to ascertain from the photo provided but........... If that were mine I would apply Flex Coat Epoxy and put the tip on my rack and turner until dry.

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
I was referring to reapplying epoxy (Flexcoat as referenced above by Hardyreels) to the damaged section and would fish it. Google "applying Flexcoat to wraps" and you'll find a step by step. Easy to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the consistency of the epoxy application a critical variable? I may have to ask around to find a turner

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
You don't "need" a rod turner. Just coat the wraps and turn the rod every few minutes for a couple hours for instance. Just don't want to have the epoxy sag. Don't over think it though. Coat it, babysit it a bit by rotating the rod (lay it between a pair of open books as a sort of vise / holding jig) and leave the tip extended. Will be a very simple fix for you. Watch a video and you'll get the gist of it...easy stuff.

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
I have had multiple rods end up like yours for multiple reasons. One, a brand new Winston I loaned to a friend who literally dragged it through baja behind an ATV, was fine. I sent it back to Winston and they wrapped the damaged section with thread to pretty it up and it was gtg.

As stated above, if there is no fiber damage it is fine. If it is damaged you will know on the first snag or fish.

Fish it and stay happy...

·
Boulder garden
367 Posts
I'll take heat , but hot spotting that sweet river on your first post....
Flex coat and a lighter to thin the solution turn regularly or it will sag. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just watched a few videos and am confident Flexcoat will take care of this. It seems like a simple process. Anyone with the Internet can check water levels chainsaw, and anyone who does should know there are better bodies of water to be fishing right now.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,258 Posts
Having a little rod turning motor with a chuck and a serviceable rack is just one of those acquisitions you hope you don't need unless you get into wrapping your own blanks. However, if you invest in one now and face something like this or do start wrapping blanks you'll be happy to have one you have to go looking for. I've had mine since somewhere around 1983 when I got into restoring bamboo rods. I still have the same rig but have to think about where to go look for it if I need it.

While on the topic of having gizmo's around that aren't often needed I'll mention another. I have had one of those cheap Berkley line loading tools for years also.

Like this;

Whether a fellow is into single hand or two hand rods you sometimes find your self with new or previously owned reels that need to have backing and fly lines either loaded or removed. That rack comes in really handy when the project comes up. When I have to unload lines I do the fly line by mounting the original spool that comes with a line and turning by hand to unload. Doing this by hand isn't bad because the longest Spey lines are only in the 120 - 150 foot length.

When you need to remove all the backing from a reel you need a suitable spool for storage of the material and with a little experimentation you'll figure out how to use a cordless drill to spin the storage spool to unload your reel.

I'm not sure how long I've had that tool but long enough that I've had to repair it a couple times :)

Ard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts