Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first go at a blacker style mixer. Overall I am very pleased with this one, I couldn't follow recipe exact as some of my materials grew legs! I really need some more toppings, I wish I would have gone with a low tail and keep the topping from touching but it is what it is there. Anyways, I had a lot of fun with this style of wing and plan to do many more. Oh and I left theherl head off on purpose as every time I fish one with it they usually fall off. Head will get a couple more coats. Any comments or critiques are appreciated! Added a second photo that I feel shows the wing a bit better, seems that there is too much Sun for a good photo!!
-josh

Attachments

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,859 Posts
On Fire J

Nice stuff coming of the vise buddy

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good looking!
right on for you on a difficult pattern
thats why I had to do it, talking to a friend about the show this weekend I brought up tying the childers, he said I should go with something a bit less complicated. Naturally I took that as a challenge.... needless to say I will be tying something more simple at the show! haha thanks fellas

·
Registered
231 Posts

Josh..your more than welcome.your blacker style Childers
looks good seperated and mixed proper..thinking on commenting
on proportion freely..understanding no offense is dolled out..?

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Hey man,

I like the wing a lot but we are gonna have to get you going on the topping front.

body is super clean, love that.

I think maybe working with that long hook point made proportions funny. Kyle, I'd love your input on proportions since you have worked with these hooks. for me the tag seems a bit long and too far forward which is what put your tail in the funny spot.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I commented on the other site, ill add you could start the butt BEFORE thd hook point SLIGHLTY if you want. Nothing wrong with doint that. study old flies, old fly plates etc and try to do what is what is done there.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kyle and everyone. Dig in, that's why I post things like this is to improve!

Kova, I will certainly try that on the next one, this hook was a bit different

·
Registered
231 Posts
Josh.
thinking Andrew has sound advice.it is difficult to but meaning into text
As for everyone is not a good writer,teacher of sorts..
i feel a tad bit uncomfortable explaining.As im not that far into tying..
There are some rules of thumb,lines of sorts...
but i will say this is a basic classic styled iron.there for to get
it where you want it to look.id follow the basic guides abit..
ie.realative to tip,tag starting and stoping point.tail lenght.ribs.hackle lenght.
and so on....and also thinking your used to tying on long shanked
speyish type iron.it is abit diffrent....
You can foward me emial...
all the best
kyle

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Beauty Josh. Love the colors and overall package here. I think those proportions look good on that hook, seems balanced, at least to my eye.

Wished I was up visiting with you and Adrian at the expo. Just taking a break from changing out the tranny in my Honda.

Todd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts