Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a Childers from Francis Francis on an AJ 1.5 blue. It's tied for The Flt Tying Colaborative and is part of a six fly set I'll be sending off once they are completed.

Not at all happy with the back half of the body, but will try to sort that out on the next one.

Still pretty new to mixed wings, and not the most ideal hook for getting that ballance with them, but I'm sure the fish won't mind.

Critiques welcomed as I try to sort this style out.

Cheers,

Scott.

Now that I look at it some more, I'll have to shape the head a bit before it's completely done. But of a train wreck.

Attachments

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Hey Scott, cool fly.

I'm looking at that body and wondering did you put the dubbing in a loop or just spin it on? I think less dubbing either way would be a good call, it looks too thick in the back, and I'd not loop the thread, but just spin it on and pick a few fibres out. Looks better that way on a mixed wing and you keep a slimmer profile. I have to finish my set to send off too. I'm slacking

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Nice tie Scott. Love the under profile of the throat to the tag

Rocky

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad to have met you at the fundraiser Scott. My friend won the lessons from you.

The future of classic tying is in good hands.

Ralf

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Scott, cool fly.

I'm looking at that body and wondering did you put the dubbing in a loop or just spin it on? I think less dubbing either way would be a good call, it looks too thick in the back, and I'd not loop the thread, but just spin it on and pick a few fibres out. Looks better that way on a mixed wing and you keep a slimmer profile. I have to finish my set to send off too. I'm slacking
Hey Matt,

Thanks for weighing in. It does look like a dubbing loop doesn't it? Unfortunately it was spun on, just poorly. Not sure why I didn't fix it at the time, but it sure has taken away from the rest of the body which I think is more in line with how I wanted it to look. Gradually getting fuller toward the front. I'll get another one in the vise tonight for sure.

Scott.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rocky, Jin, thanks fellas.

Ralf, it was good to meet you too. I'll send you a PM with my email and phone number. Send it off to your friend and have him contact me. If like to talk to him ahead of time to work out what the evening will look like. I've gotta call Brian today and see what they are thinking time wise, and to get a line set aside for the bamboo stick I took home. Got in a bit o trouble over that purchase. Ha!

Scott.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Scott:

Take it for a swim Scott. See how she behaves...then make decisions. Your skills are up to any changes if necessary

gotz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts