Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with any guides on the Chetco River. There are a lot of gear based guides on the google machine, but not many fly guys, and nobody who mentions swinging flies.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This is going to be interesting.

No idea now but last was 'Rich Henry,' a Klamath Indian. Wife 2.0 and zero brain connection on fishing/casting. "Rich, I need your help." As silly as this may seem he had her put on ear phones and symphony music (no idea what at this point).

"Feel the music, move your arms to the music, finger tips on the cork. No-no just the finger tips." Her first fish, that day was about 22 pounds cleaned. Joan's fish was the 'main course' at the RV park BBQ/Pot Luck. Still have that picture in my bed room. Mop of curly red hair; in the club house and, if only if you dared, would you play cards for 'money.' Well, penny, nichk/quarters, well quarter were 'big money.' A two dollar 'pot' and there would be a dozen of us sitting down watching the next card floop.

Joan was 'all in,' I just read an old fishing magazine or played Solitaire.

Edit! There were two fellows from French Canada, and little English. She was in her 'element.' Couldn't understand 10% of what was being said. Daughter's spent a year at our home attending the U of Washington. Pointing a finger at one young man: "Sir, you put a finger on her and I will teach you what the word pain really means. Do we have a perfect understanding?'' A few days later he brought flowers an 'Do have permission to speak with your Daughter?' Well, not my Daughter but yes.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Confluence Outfitters

Contact Confluence outfitters. I believe Gino guides below Loeb State Park. Guide Permits are scarce above that point. Gold River Outfitters Jim Bansemer used to guide there as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Only 10 permits for the river above Ice Box and none of them are fly fishing guides. Harvey Young and others gear guides will take fly fishing guys out I think, but like has been said it's a straightforward river, especially the lower part.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Chetco above Loeb

Do you have a drift or pontoon boat? There is some good water up there, but you you have to access the other side. If all else fails. google Gold River Outfitters, I just checked out their website & they have a contact tab. Hit that & ask questions.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This river does not need 'guides.'

Watched it go to heck in a hand basket with 'I'm a guide and only charge $400 a day. A river gone to hell; the drive there isn't worth the time save for one really good sandwich shop. Sea food munchies are, or more properly were, extraordinary.

A 'float?' You could do this river in an innertube. Two places were 'wooozer's,' pay attention!! but beyond that. Child's Play.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Gone to Hell? I think not

For some unknown reason, I am unable to download attachments this AM. This is a link to my Facebook page. It will only open one picture. But click on the "back to album" on the upper left corner and it will show more pics. Only #s 2 though 6 are the Chetco. Remaining are the Rogue.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4511442476935&set=a.4511435316756.1073741832.1616836979&type=3&theater
On this particular trip, (Jan 2010) a group of the Rogue Flyfishers shared a guide for two days. Two of us would go with the guide for 1/2 day. It worked out well, considering how many of us there were. Some of the group returned the following year. They said the guide had a new honey, which he brought along, and did nothing but sit in the boat with her while they fished. No split tails allowed in the boat! :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Watched it go to heck in a hand basket with 'I'm a guide and only charge $400 a day. A river gone to hell; the drive there isn't worth the time save for one really good sandwich shop. Sea food munchies are, or more properly were, extraordinary.
Between the boats motoring up the runs and the plunkers at Social, the lower river is not always a fun place to be.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dead on Parera, dead on.

Between the boats motoring up the runs and the plunkers at Social, the lower river is not always a fun place to be.
Like the Rogue, back in the 'old days.' Guides with 'jet sleds' just didn't go above 'The Bridge.' No need as they had miles of water below that the bank angler couldn't access. Well it was a hell of a long walk and 'Bush Whacking.'

Now? Have a jet sled, most don't give a xxxx, as they scream up/down through the run you're fishing. Fellows with drift boats do and give us 'bankies' lots of room.

fae

·
Registered
730 Posts
Chetco

MZ,
As others have said, this can be a DIY river. Get the Smith/Chetco
Streamtime map. Driving up the north bank, Myrtle Grove, Icebox,
Loeb Park are good places with lots of casting room. Way up stream,
the road narrows and there are several bars with possibilities. My
favorite is Redwood. Road can be icy and dicey.
Unlike the Smith with its gear grabbing rocks, the Chetco has lots of
pea gravel and not near the stream gradient. A neat river. South of the river
along 101, Mattie's offers a great breakfast!
Best,
lsteinb

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Matt, I fished with Dave Carney a couple years. Good (FLY) guy and got us into fish! He used to fish the Chetco, probably still does. He lives(d) around Rogue River, I can get you a phone number if you need. Doc

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Matt,

Freecast has given you good advise <> Dave Carney is truly an excellent fly guide and an equally fine person.

You'd learn a lot with a few days spent on the river with his guidance.

He probably has set up on the South Coast by now ... Or will be very soon.

Meiz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts