Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to no some info on this reel. It is a Charlton Titanium Model 8500 1.2 Serial #2 Any body no where it was made and who made it. And what would be a price tag on it? Thanks Jim

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
#2???!!!!

Do yo have this reel??!!

That's made by Jack Charlton, way before Scientific Angler's bought the Charlton Outdoor Technologies, in Burlington, Washington. SA has now moved the production facility.
The titanium versions are rare makes. Most of the "regular" Charlton reels are in high grade Al. I own two of the 8500 1.2's in both left and right retrieve.
They are not convertible, but they are few of the best reels in the market, if not the best.

I talked to a guy from SA who denied the rumour that SA is discountinueing the 8500 signature series' production due to high production cost. But SA confirms that they are definitely not making and more of the titanium ones.

serial#2? You have a highly collectable reel!!!!!

Check out:
http://www.just-reels.com/MCharlton.htm

-S

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
HummmmmDinger!

I'll bet Jack has #1...
Big Buck$ to be sure!

"They" had alot of "TROUBLE" with the titanium series....
I've got an 8500 and extra spool in the much more reliable and desireable formal black....
...and would consider "trading" if you make it worth while and throw in a few extras!:devil:

...inmydreams!

·
Registered
76 Posts
that pos is worthless. I feel bad for you. I have a Ross Big Game #5 and a couple of Tibors and an Abel and a few Islanders that I would trade.

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
Sticker shock...

Way back in the 1900's when Jack was turning aviation metallurgy/machine technology into fly reel majic...the titanium "sculptures" were going to royalty, ceo's, sheaks, and folks with more money than they could spend...As I recall, the wait was months and months and the price approached 10K. Go phigure!?:eek:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You got a piece of metalurgical art! His "cheap sinlge spool aluminum trout reels sold for about $900.00. The Charlton Titaniums had a very high price tag and it took 6-8 months to get one after you paid your money, which was multiple thousands of dollars (between 3K and 10k depending on size and whether it came with extra spools).

Burlinton, WA is only 5 miles from were I live and the local newspaper did an article on Jack Charlton and how he turned his aerospace engineering and metalurgical skills to making superb fly reels a year before he sold out to SA. They were and are essentially hand-made to to order with extremely close tolerances and have a finish second to none.

You have an heirloom that is also a great fishing tool!

J

·
0 Posts
Charlton Ti

I don't know if you mean that $5000.00 is a joke because it is too low a price or a ridiculously high price. I would say that the reel is easily worth more than that. The last established retail price was $4200.00. That was from the mid-'90's. The aluminum models nearly doubled in price since that time. VERY few Ti models were ever made and SN 2 makes it worth even more. Personally, if you can afford to wait I wouldn't even sell it right now, but if you do I would say $8000.00 is more realistic.

SA has only told its dealers that a "new" version of the Charlton reels is being developed and that they will likely be made overseas. We have been told that the new reel will be different enough that spools will not be interchangeable between the original models and the new ones. Anyone who claims to know more than that is either full of it or has a serious pipeline into SA because the security involved in this rivals that of the Manhattan Project.

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
OK, OK...

You can have my fashionably black 8500 1.2 with extra spool...
AND my first born male AND you can stay at Area 61 AND I'll take you fishin' AND whatdoyouthink?
You drive a HARD bargain!
Sincerely
Slightly disabled Moderately decorated Veteran

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Wow. That is about all I have to say about the reel.
As far as Charlton is concerned I have heard (and I offer no evidence of any truth to these rumors!!!!!) That all of the production equipment was moved to MI and that it is sitting there waiting for someone with the no how to build the reels. But now that Bruce RIchards is on board :) he might be able to give a little more factual account to the fate of the Charlton Reels???

J

·
0 Posts
The one thing we do know is that the same reel will not be made again. Jack is no longer an employee of SA and he still owns at least some of the design patents, etc. We were also told at the Denver show that it was about 95% certain the reel would be made overseas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the funny thing is that the titanium while rare, exquisite and difficult to manufacture, is really not the best material for reels (as Jack made them any way). Aluminium is lighter (on an already heavy reel) and plenty durable. I handled them many times, and they were bricks! These reels were collectors items right from the start.
It will be a shame if S.A. makes 'em offshore. Maybe Orvis's British Reel Works will make them...or worse. Maybe they will be good, but they will NEVER be a Charlton.
I'm glad I got mine while the getting was good. I hope Jack gets back into it.

J

·
0 Posts
Right you are on all your points. Titanium became a popular material for reels when it replaced stainless steel for internal parts. Doing so significantly decreased the weight of reels. Felton Harrison's SW reels were the first that I know of to do this. His Archangel reel held a WF12F & 400yds of 30#, weighed only a bit over 10oz, and it was a fantastic reel. The Charlton 8500 SST 0.8, which holds a WF8F and 240yds of 20#, weighed over 15oz. I rarely fished it, but they are absolutely collectible. As for Jack getting back into it, that would be nice, but I really don't think it's going to happen. In fact, it is quite likely that his severance from 3M/SA included some type of a "golden parachute" that would have undoubtedly included a non-compete clause. I hope Jack and Judy are getting in all the fishing they didn't have time for when they were building their state-of-the-art reel.

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
miss Judy

From now on I'll have to call 3M/SA for Charlton support. Judy is a sweet lady, I'm going to miss talking to her .... :(

-Sing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts