Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a e mail for Steve Choate that the weekend of September 20th and 21st is a GOOD TO GO!

Do a bit of 'retread' lessons in the morning and fish til the BBQ says the goodie, the baked spuds, salad, etc., etc and etc are ready to go.

Not sure if Way can join us ... but I'll put the "pressure" on him (so can you :>)!! ).

"Cost" maybe $30 bucks to cover the cost of lunch and dinners. The upper Rogue has fish out the gozona now, and probably a few thousand more by then. Need a B and B, or a hotel room, let me know so I can plan accordingly.

Let me know if you'll attend.

fae

[email protected]

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey, Fred

Check out the above post. I think there is a misprint on your e-mail address. (Hint - Last letter of your name).

BobK:cool:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, even worse than that is I got the dates

WRONG!! Off by one weekend. The 27th/28th is the FFF get together in Sea Side, Oregon. Several folks I know are headed over for the meeting(s).

SO ... lets get it right this time!! The reunion is the weekend of Sept 20-21, 2003
fae

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the river will be chock a block with

fish a few runs up or down from a launch site could give us additional access the fellows wouldn't otherwise get a chance to see/fish.

Boat would be very cool!!

fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Come Hell or high water

You know I'll be there.:devil:

><///('>
JD

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Man...I will be out of town that weekend. Wish I could come , the rogue still owes me a fish or three.

So Fred is there gonna be a spot for me at the 2004 charity event??:devil:

-sean

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! to all of the above!!

Rogue fish count is waaaay out of date (8-1-2003) at 6500+ so given we're darned near the end of the month the actual count is probably way over 7,000 fish in the top end of the river. This year, like last, the game dept is expecting a good return (based on the 39,000+ sping king run) so by the time of the Reunion we should be awash in fish.

The only "key" will be they cut the water flow before this point. Still running at 1901 cfs, best is 1,500 and down ... farther down even better as this tends to 'compact' the fish into more 'catchable quantities.'

Rick J asked about bring up his jet boat ... YA BABY!! This would allow a lot of folks to access water that you can't get to by foot. Run(s) would be fairly short but put folks into areas that they can easily fish from the beach .. if only they could get there. (Clue: time for everyone to e mail Rick and say "oh ya baby!~)

Weather will be top drawer, but not the hot enough to fry eggs on the beach rocks. Sit around on Friday evening and sip a glass of wine, small tumbler of SM, a light BBQ and salad, Plan the Plan for Saturday and Sunday, fish our brains out, a large sea food pasta (I've got a killer one!!!) salad and french bread for Dinner, re-plan the plan, get some sleep, and whack it again on Sunday. (No, I didn't forget the lunch stuff; Bob Meiser would cook me on top of his BBQ.)

So many fish, so little time. (That means if (the collective) "we" land a clipped fish it will be Steelhead for dinner on Saturday.

But more of this as we get into early September!!

AND!!! (DRUM ROLL HERE PLEASE!) Had a call from the AaronMeister this morning (he'll post details) as he'd like to do a mini-Spey Clave down here on the Rogue in late October. A very cool idea as we'll have a LARGE number of both summer runs, fall kings and our 'special brand' of fall screamers (yes, the Rogue actuall has three runs of steelhead; these could best be described as "springers" is you were in Washington.)

To over simplify (obviously far more to come .. but why he wants to stick my name on this given he's the "Main Man" is a head scratcher. Guy is good, very, very good.) Aaron's going to bring down his 'rod rack' so there will be a lot of new equipment to play with, (hopefully) a lot of local folk who need an into into the world of spey casting, and a general laid back time for all. But more to come on this shortly.
fae/ar/bm/jj, et. al.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sean, sperate post here so it doesn't get missed.

We will have the Wife and Newbie Spey Caster with us??

jee/fae

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Actually Fred we did discuss it and probably not this year. We need to get Cole walking and talking first. How else is he going to dodge my errant backcasts:rolleyes:

However the following year is a definite possibility.

-sean

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bouble good news!!

Steve will be here a tad after 11 am on Sept 19th, but the bad news (I think I've already passed this on) is Way has a conflict and won't be able to join us for the Reunion.

Lots! of folks have expressed their intent to attend: Soooo, lets make it offical so The Cooks know how many 'crumpets' to cook for breakfast.

Seveal things to cover quickly:

PLEASE put a post us so 'everyone' knows who will be coming (including wife and kiddlets) so the BBQMeister (the Bob himself) knows for lunchs on the beach).

Jimmie Jones, bless his heart, also now lives about 20-25 minutes north of Joan and I in Centeral Point (90% a freeway flick) and he's opened is home for 'boarders.' He/I/Joan need to know who needs lodging for the weekend (and Friday?, longer???) Worst case would be a sleeeping bag, but beats paying a hotel bill? :D

Extra good news is the BobMeister was talking to one of his contacts a day or so back and the Corp of Eng. will be cutting back the water flows in the upper Rogue starting next week. By the Reunion we should be at about 1000 cfs which makes for PRIMORDIAL fishing conditions. Plan to come early, stay late.

And that brings up the next question: Your all welcome to stay as long as you like, just need to know for dinner purposes (including Friday evening ... great! dinner planned .. Snigger, snigger).

Basic plan for the weekend if fish your brains out! Casting practice in the morning (at least Saturday) and hit the river with gear. A good Guy/Gal will hit a clipped fish and it will be a summer run on the Barbie for dinner.

At least three of you have asked about (if i've not properly responded yuck on Fred::( so we'll be ready for electrical hook ups when you get here. If you have a spare bunk for one of the folks, all the better yet.

So how's fishing? Latest fix (offical and unoffical) is there's well over 8,000 summer runs in the upper river... Eat your heart out Washington Guys.

Want to do a float? I've got my drift boat 95% back ready to go. Falling off my roof (another story, for another time) will "preclude" me from doing the rowing (and I have to do the dinners anyway) will be ready to go.

Good with oars, and a trailer hitch.. you and a couple of others are good to go. The RickMeister has asked about bringing up his jet boat (a very cool machine if I might add) and I've said PLEASE!!!

Short runs from several launch points will put you into water most folks never get to see .... pressure on Rick :>)

SO PLEASE!! Put a quick post so everyone gets to know who will be here, when and most importantly: how long.

jee/fae/Sheba/Saki the cat.

For those who do''t know (regular glass' on, not my computer 'things,' so hard to read the screen. Getting "old?" DON'T even ask!!) Saki is the house furball; she snoozes where she wishs .. sort of a closed door. I've been 'informed' that lock picking instructions would be a good thing. Ha!
:D

jee/fae/all the rest.

Peace be with you.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Addition to Fred's post

As Fred mentioned, I am now a resident of Central Point, Or. About a 15 minute drive from Tou Velle Park. I have an extra bedroom as well as RV access along side the house. The guest bedroom is not the Ritz, yet. But it does have a queen size air mattress cot and comes with clean sheets and pillow cases, your own bathroom and full house privledges. :D PM, email or give me a call @ (541) 941-6546 if you want a place to stay. Rent is cheap. A bottle of single malt will do fine. :chuckle:

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Fred,

I'll be leaving on Friday a bit early from work - staying with my wife's folks in Gold Hill. Will be on the river early Sat and am hauling up the sled. Will need to take off mid day Sunday.

Best regards,
Rick

1 - 20 of 52 Posts