Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-handed beginner line question:

I spent the past week fishing in MI using my friend's TFO DeerCreek 8wt, using the RIO Scandi Versa Tip (floating) with various 15ft sink tips and tube flies 3-4" long.

The set up worked well getting the fly down where I wanted in the runs I fish catching a few steelhead and a number of salmon over the week of learning.

What I found in the course of the week was I spent a considerable amount of time having to strip 10 - 20 feet of line between casts (which were the longest casts I needed to make for the runs I fished).

So my longest average casts were - 10ft running line >> 38 ft of tip >> 15ft Sink tip =63 ft.

So, giving in to my new addiction I purchased an Echo 8136 as my starter rod and I'm making line choices for it now.

If I rig it with an Airflo Skagit compact 570gr, can I throw that extra 10 - 20 feet without having to strip between every cast?

Also can I continue to use the RIO 15ft sink tips and what floating running line would I use with the Skagit Compact?

Any help and advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If I rig it with an Airflo Skagit compact 570gr, can I throw that extra 10 - 20 feet without having to strip between every cast?
Only way not to strip running line is to use a longer belly line that is in the 45-60ft range (based on your estimation).

Also can I continue to use the RIO 15ft sink tips and what floating running line would I use with the Skagit Compact?
Any will do if your not too worried about maximizing distance.

·
Registered
297 Posts

From my experience and from what I've heard others say, it won't affect your casting too much to have some over-hang with your running line, but the more running line is hanging out the tip the harder it seems to control everything and TO ME feels like feels like it's casting a bowling ball with a thin piece of mono.

As for sink tip, if you feel you can cast it well with the skagit then go for it. I use the RIO iMOW tips in various sink rates and I believe most if not all are 10 feet long. These are pretty easy casting. I've used various running lines and like the Airflow Ridgeline for something more substantial and really like the new OPST mono running lines as well. The OPST doesn't float super high but stays close enough to the surface where I haven't had an issue with it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Skagit line is roughly 10 feet shorter than the Scandie you were using therefore you will have to strip more line for casts of the same distance.
Going to a shorter line helps the learning curve but more stripping will be required, going to a longer line means not as much stripping but you will find you have much to learn and your frustration level will increase.
If the line combination you were using was working for you spend the time using that system until you casts are consistent, try lengthening your stroke to get longer casts, doing so will make the jump to longer bellied lines much easier.

Ian

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

I spent the past week fishing in MI using my friend's TFO DeerCreek 8wt, using the RIO Scandi Versa Tip (floating) with various 15ft sink tips and tube flies 3-4" long.

The set up worked well getting the fly down where I wanted in the runs I fish catching a few steelhead and a number of salmon over the week of learning.

What I found in the course of the week was I spent a considerable amount of time having to strip 10 - 20 feet of line between casts (which were the longest casts I needed to make for the runs I fished).

So my longest average casts were - 10ft running line >> 38 ft of tip >> 15ft Sink tip =63 ft.

So, giving in to my new addiction I purchased an Echo 8136 as my starter rod and I'm making line choices for it now.

The Rio Scandi versa-tip has a 23' body, and comes with a pack of 4 different 15' tips (total line setup length [body + 1 tip] = 38'). You then add your leader & fly to that....

Are you saying that you added another 15' sink tip to that system??

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

The Airflo compact Skagit head is 25' (23 to 27' depending on head weight).

If you add your 15' tip to that, you will have a line system of 40' length, and the you add your leader/tippet & fly to that (say 5 to 10')

If you are catching fish @ 45 to 50' in the rivers/runs you fish, who needs to shoot line???

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

If, with the line system you are using, you shoot 10 to 20', then that 10 to 20' needs to be stripped back in order for you to set-up for the next cast. Some experts can continue to undertake perfectly serviceable casts using more than 1' (12 inches) of overhang when using a compact (Skagi-Scandi) head, but mere mortals and beginners cannot usually do so.

So, if you are to continue using the compact Skagi-Scandi heads with tips, you will be needing to both shoot running line and strip in again, unless the fish you are targeting (& catching) are within the range of head+tip+leader/tippet length.

Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike --

I stand corrected.

It was the 38 ft total, including the sinking tip.

So basically my average casts are 40-60 feet.

Can I get this with a mid-belly line and 10ft sink tip? And still turn over a 4" cone head tube fly?

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Mike --

I stand corrected.

It was the 38 ft total, including the sinking tip.

So basically my average casts are 40-60 feet.

Can I get this with a mid-belly line and 10ft sink tip? And still turn over a 4" cone head tube fly?
Yes, certainly!

The mid-belly line, 45-55' head, should be able to turn over a 10-15' tip (may significantly struggle with 15' of T17/20), and then a short stout leader of 3-6' with your 4" conehead fly. Had been doing that for years prior to using the Guideline Scandi heads, and later Skagi heads. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
741 Posts
Look into the Nextcast WA45. Should be perfect for your intended function and casting range without having to strip running line each cast.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Of course with a longer head you will have a longer D-loop forming behind you. Keep that in mind if you are casting in situations where trees are less than 15 or so feet behind you.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Of course with a longer head you will have a longer D-loop forming behind you. Keep that in mind if you are casting in situations where trees are less than 15 or so feet behind you.
Yes! And more challenging to turn cast as much as with shorter head which leads to longer cast and bigger D-loop.

Esa

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
Stripping isn't that big an issue...

for me to contend with. I fish scandi, skagit, and mid-belly lines and each does its thing well. My input is to match the head with the fly and you'll be happier, even if you have to strip in some line to make the cast. As a beginning caster myself, I've found big heavy flies and sink tips are a source of frustration for me with the mid-belly lines. The scandi versa-tip you were fishing or a skagit compact would be my choice for your 4" flies, with a tip of the hat toward the skagit. If you were casting 100' and needed to strip in 40' of line to make the next cast, that would be a different story.

All that said, the NextCast WA45 would be a good single line choice. Remove the floating tip, use a sink tip and in effect you've got a Scandit line that will handle most any fly.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
"What I found in the course of the week was I spent a considerable amount of time having to strip 10 - 20 feet of line between casts"

Stripping 10+ feet of running line isn't to terrible or time consuming.. Plus it actually serves a beneficial function. As you strip line against the current it lifts your head, tip, and fly higher in the water column allowing for an easier cleaner lift into your next cast. With a longer head line and no stripping you might have to throw a roll cast (or two :eek:) first in order to get things up and moving. A lot depends on the size, bulk, and weight of the fly, plus length and density of tip.

·
Registered
741 Posts
"What I found in the course of the week was I spent a considerable amount of time having to strip 10 - 20 feet of line between casts"

Stripping 10+ feet of running line isn't to terrible or time consuming.. Plus it actually serves a beneficial function. As you strip line against the current it lifts your head, tip, and fly higher in the water column allowing for an easier cleaner lift into your next cast.
No to mention that depending on your retrieve you might get a bite or 2. ;)

With a longer head line and no stripping you might have to throw a roll cast (or two :eek:) first in order to get things up and moving. A lot depends on the size, bulk, and weight of the fly, plus length and density of tip.
Also depends on the stiffness of your rod tip. Or so I've been told. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
NextCast Winter Authority 45 or even 55

Stripping is no fun during winter months. especially, when there is a perfect solution for it. I fish both a WA45 and a 55 during winter months. even though some of the runs are not very wide, I am just casting the head and fishing through the run......no stripping, no pause and much better control over the swing. Also, it is much more time efficient. You pick up the line and recast. I feel like with a longer head and no stripping/running line, my flies are fishing longer and more consistently.........the tips that you can use on the WA heads also get the fly down to where you need to be......no need for skagit or scandi...

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
As a beginning caster myself, I've found big heavy flies and sink tips are a source of frustration for me with the mid-belly lines. The scandi versa-tip you were fishing or a skagit compact would be my choice for your 4" flies, with a tip of the hat toward the skagit.
Despite my increasing fondness for mid-belly lines, I sort of agree with this. You want to cast 4" weighted flies, stick with a skagit and deal with the stripping. You want to avoid stripping, go to a mid-belly and adjust your choice in flies. Not that long-head/big-fly can't be done but it's more work than I care for, at my skill level.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts