Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a CF Burkheimer 9135-4v for sale. It is the "vintage" finish and comes with the extra tip section. I ordered it directly from the CF Burkheimer shop and it was finished in December of 2017. I can include a copy of my invoice. The rod is the standard vintage finish (smoke nickel reel seat with California Buckeye insert, translucent black finish etc.). The rod has been used for only 1-3 runs at most and is essentially like new. I inspected it carefully and other than what would be wear you would expect to see in a rod that was put together and used once or twice, it looks in near new shape to my eye. The serial number is 08700 and it comes of course with the Burkheimer rod tube and cloth case. The cost for this rod from Burkheimer today in the vintage finish and with the extra tip is $1,470. I would like $1,125 for my rod plus cost of shipping and insurance. I will provide detailed photos for anyone interested. I'll consider reasonable offers. FYI- I ordered it with the extra tip section as I had planned to use the rod for various trips to BC, including camp trips, so wanted an extra tip in case something happened remotely. Unfortunately I have not been able to make these BC trips. As other members have posted, this is a great rod for steelhead, chinook and atlantic salmon. It can handle larger fish but also will fight 10-12 lb fish well.

Thanks.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
938 Posts
I can't believe that this stick is still available. Such an Amazing rod .........

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe that this stick is still available. Such an Amazing rod .........
I know it’s a lot to ask for a used rod, so that may be why there hasn’t been any interest to date. Given how little the rod has been used and it’s condition though, I think I am close to a fair price if someone was considering buying new, but there is no rush either. The rod will be here if someone is interested down the road. I have a Burkie 9145 as well and may post that soon and will be asking less for that rod.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Can you describe the difference between the 9145 which I have, and this one? I know the snarky answer would be “about a foot”. I feel like the 13’9” rods are relatively tippy in the Burkie spectrum. And some rods they labeled with 141 are a bit more soulful - thinking 7141 and 8141 for example. Not that there is a Rosetta Stone for burkie actions, but seems like there are some patterns. Maybe the have a template for each length that they at least start with? I have no idea about this one, however. Never tried one.

sorry for the minor hijack.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you describe the difference between the 9145 which I have, and this one? I know the snarky answer would be “about a foot”. I feel like the 13’9” rods are relatively tippy in the Burkie spectrum. And some rods they labeled with 141 are a bit more soulful - thinking 7141 and 8141 for example. Not that there is a Rosetta Stone for burkie actions, but seems like there are some patterns. Maybe the have a template for each length that they at least start with? I have no idea about this one, however. Never tried one.

sorry for the minor hijack.
Marko- given I haven't cast either rod much, I'm not sure I can adequately answer your question. The 9135 when I have cast it, really has the Burkie feel to me. I believe it cast and fishes as a true nine or possibly a light nine, it does not feel at all heavy to me. The feedback I had when I was looking into buying the 9135 was it was a great rod when you might encounter a larger fish, but still wanted a rod that could fight a 10-12 pound fish with pleasure. It seems it would be perfect for BC, Atlantics, OP and wherever you might find a larger fish or heavy water. The couple of runs where I used the rod was on the North Umpqua on certain runs where a heavier stick would be helpful if you hooked a fish. I would also use it on the Smith for certain runs as well, so in my mind not just a OP, BC type rod.

Maybe others can weigh in.

Thanks for asking.

·
loco alto!
3,075 Posts
I use the 9135 for chinook though it also makes easier work of heavy winter steelhead fishing. It is a light 9 wt. The 9135 flexes more deeply (in a relative way) than the 6139, 7139, 8139-4. It is a progressive taper and ends in a powerful butt, but loads pretty deep, well into the 3rd section, and smoothly into the 4th section. I find the rod just perfect, very smooth. It feels to me that it shares a general flex profile with the 7134, though again, deeper loading.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the 9135 for chinook though it also makes easier work of heavy winter steelhead fishing. It is a light 9 wt. The 9135 flexes more deeply (in a relative way) than the 6139, 7139, 8139-4. It is a progressive taper and ends in a powerful butt, but loads pretty deep, well into the 3rd section, and smoothly into the 4th section. I find the rod just perfect, very smooth. It feels to me that it shares a general flex profile with the 7134, though again, deeper loading.
Thank you for the information!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
This might be a wild guess, but was there ever, originally, a 9134 that got tweaked and called the 9135 - kind of like the 8141 and 8142?

·
loco alto!
3,075 Posts
Kerry has made a lot of custom requested rods over the years, so maybe, but to my knowledge there was never a 9134 in standard production.

The 8141 is a bit unique in that it was made for a few years, then was modified enough (stronger butt, faster recovery) to have a new personality and warrant a new designation (8142). In contrast, the 9145 received a very subtle change (slightly stronger tip) after some years that didn’t change the rod’s pace or overall feel, nor warrant a model number change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts