Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Umpqua.I've just heard Dogwood is gone, hatchery is gone, historic monument Frank and Jeannie Moore's house is gone. Sounds like Frank and Jeannie got out OK. Totally devastating of the Umpqua.
Terrible news. I was just out there.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Could be, but I heard it from one of my best fishing companions, a former guide, who has lived on the river for over 35 years. He and his wife were evacuated and are in a motel in Roseburg. Even though it's over 2000 miles away, it's been my home steelhead river for nearly 40 yrs.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just when I thought Chicago was bad... let's just all hope 2021 will be less dramatic

Don't mean to hijack this thread but since we are on this topic, do you guys think D will be fishable in two weeks?

I have my flight booked and getting anxious as I keep hearing the river is blown. Say it does clear up by then, would that effect the number of fish entering the system and would it be logical to think that all the high water push the fish that's already there back to Columbia? Skip the Mack's and focus on the mouth if so?
It’s blown due to heat and melting glaciers which should improve dramatically. The fires could be a problem. Just keep watching.

Reactions: domantas

·
Registered
913 Posts
Idleyld.jpg

Well that's good news! Here's an image from just above my buddy's house. He's going to try to get there today to see if it's still there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Umpqua.I've just heard Dogwood is gone, hatchery is gone, historic monument Frank and Jeannie Moore's house is gone. Sounds like Frank and Jeannie got out OK. Totally devastating of the Umpqua.
Steamboat Facebook page said the inn is still there and so is the dogwood.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Excellent! I'm happy that my information was wrong . . . on both counts. I still haven't heard from my friend to see if he still has his house. Sorry for my mistake.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Excellent! I'm happy that my information was wrong . . . on both counts. I still haven't heard from my friend to see if he still has his house. Sorry for my mistake.
I also learned from the Roseburg newspaper (yesterday's) that it's still unclear about the fate of the Moore's house. I hope we get reports soon.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
I had just got back to my home after three weeks away due to a fire evacuation in the CZU fire - Santa Cruz mountains CA, when I started hearing about the Oregon fires. Many in places I have been to. Please be safe guys! And don’t be like me, remember to throw your Meisers in the trunk if you need to evacuate.

Final toll on my street was 19 houses burned to the ground. I only realized when I got back the fire literally was feet away from my house which somehow survived. Thanks to all firefighters everywhere!

We all definitely still feel like we could become zombies, and and on top of that two nights ago this. Just when all the fires in our area were getting under control fires hundreds of miles away left their calling card. This was at 3 pm at my house. The sky was zombie apocalypse color, with the fine ash up high refracting the light, and the crickets started singing 3 hours early. It has been a very zombie apocalypse year, no figurative chainsaw seems big enough to plow through it all, and the novelty has entirely worn off.

Take care up there guys - we are thinking about you.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just heard from my buddy. Fire came within a half mile of his house, so it's still there so far. Glide is a disaster. Frank and Jeannie's is almost surely gone. He thinks only 2 cabins left at Dogwood.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Frank and Jeannie's is gone. But Frank (97) says he thinks he'll rebuild. He says he expects to be around 'till he's 105 or 110. He and Jeannie have been married 77 years. Hatchery is destroyed. They're moving some surviving adult steelhead and chinook to another hatchery. There are 3 cabins standing at Dogwood, sounds like the rest is gone. Haven't heard about Steamboat, but I suspect it survived.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
... Tallies are starting to come in on the Rogue Valley fires. The Alameda fire has been the most devastating. Nearly 2500 homes and businesses have been lost in Phoenix/Talent. Over 80,000 people were in various stages of evacuation from Ashland to Medford for several days. Our home and business was evacuated, but we have just returned ... And we are OK. In southern Oregon, the Rogue drainage in general has not yet been effected by the fires, but there are massive fires threatening the regions of the upper drainage ... Sections of the Cal Smith and Klamath River canyons are presently being severally damaged by fires. 199 is closed and 96 is open sporadically. 2020 continues to be one hell of a year ... !!! Sawyer Oars and Fliesforfires (Via Facebook and Instagram) have established auction and go-fund-me sites to raise money for Oregon fire victims. RB Meiser fly rods will be holding a five rod auction in the coming days ... I will post on Spey Pages as well.

Talent fire <>

Meiz

·
Dom
3,085 Posts
Next week my plan is fishing Dechutes 4 days and 4 nights... timing couldn't be any worse but my flights were booked months ago so I guess I'll just wing it and see. Will be sad to see my all time favorite corner of this planet filled with zombie apocalypse fog rather than that soul lifting pure air I always get mesmerized by evertime I'm there.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Next week my plan is fishing Dechutes 4 days and 4 nights... timing couldn't be any worse but my flights were booked months ago so I guess I'll just wing it and see. Will be sad to see my all time favorite corner of this planet filled with zombie apocalypse fog rather than that soul lifting pure air I always get mesmerized by evertime I'm there.
Present air quality ranges from very un-healthy to hazardous in this region ... Factors close to 400 at times with 500 being the worst case scenario <> But it may change in the next few days ... Could get worse ... !!! <> Interactive Maps

21 - 40 of 42 Posts