Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without being specific on my possible destination I'm just fishing for general conditions in Central Oregon. I'm looking for feedback with words like: Warm - Hot - Low Water - Fires - basically any negative conditions that would tell someone from Alaska to just finish out their year close to home.

I know I can google for results but I prefer a more personal sort of man on the ground type outlook.

I would think that fire is my main concern, have you had adequate rainfall to keep the danger low?

Ard

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Word from a buddy this morning with relatives living on the North Umpqua is that the NU is on fire and many are being told to evacuate.

As for the Deschutes, the glacier has blown the river out for the last week. It could clear soon - or not.

·
Registered
895 Posts
We left the Deschutes a day early because the visibility was so poor.

Reactions: Hardyreels

·
Registered
225 Posts
Central oregon is not well at the moment. Lots of fires and a current easterly wind system is pushing a lot of smoke into the area.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you,

I would much rather get my news from the members here than google results.

Dugan, that is exactly where I was headed, I like it there.

If it matters to anyone we have had consistent rains this year on the heels of the 2019 drought which was the worst in recorded history for South Central AK. Because of the precipitation there are no active fires in my area at this time. The fishing for salmon is about over except for some late running silvers in certain rivers. Steelhead can be caught here, I do it every year but the numbers are nowhere near what you see in some of the rivers down your way.

With the reports given here I guess I better gas the boat and get busy fishing here.

Thanks again,

Ard

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I have the floor I'll whine a little.

I know, hearing from some guy who claims he's tired of reeling in salmon isn't top of the list for great reading but ........... Although I grouse over run strengths specie by specie here I still get plenty of quality fishing but this will wrap up 16 years of the same action over and over and it does become almost labor. I enjoy trout and steelhead fishing because generally they are easier to reel in.

This year (2020) I had decided I would have some variety and some challenges. I booked a 23 day trip to Scotland using contacts I've acquired through guiding folks from the UK here and it looked to be a fun trip I had planned. The chance to put my unconventional leader / line combination to the test against the Atlantic Salmon was something I looked very much forward to and days of visiting historical sites as well. You know the rest, seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new fellows, I was excited but we all know what happened to any early June plans for international travel..............

So suck it up and go catch some Kings and Silvers right? OK, I did that but then started thinking.......... I've been very careful about this virus business because I'm not exactly a young fellow any more and I've remained very sequestered from contact with people. But I wanted to have a change of scenery and started looking at flights to Oregon so I could go back and fish on some pretty cool stretches of rivers again. The airline had no issue with me bringing my own respirator with me which may sound strange but it beats the hell outta a mask so I contacted a friend and started a plan.

Then when I thought about the fires down in CA and the proximity of NorCal to OR I made this post here. So it would appear that I'll just stay home. The ferry to Kodiak is off schedule so I can't go there. I'd fly into the steelhead river there but on such short notice it isn't possible so I'll stay home and fish. If I catch any remarkable fish I'll make a post and include an image.

Ard

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ard, believe it or not the fire situation in oregon was pretty good until just a couple of days ago. And now it’s all gone to hell across much of the state; in the past 24 hours we have seen highways close, passes close, power shutdowns, towns get wiped out, and huge fires burning uncontrollably for now. There was a long dry period and then a major wind event yesterday which fanned all the flames and turned a few campfires etc into some of the worst fires oregon has seen.

It could get better in a week, who knows.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I now realize what you are saying. Just last night September 7th I was on the phone with a co conspirator from Northern California as we were putting together the plan. Me flying down to Medford - he driving up and picking me up at the airport............... Then north to the NU for at least 3 or 4 days then dropping back down to the Grants Pass area for some long range casting practice.

Then this morning when I tried contacting to arrange lodging I got no answer and thought that was strange because someone always answers. I started this thread and the rest is history. I sent a text to my pal who then did some research and provided me with more details than I thought would be possible in such a short span of time.

The weird thing is that my memories are not of a hot dry environment down there but of brisk fall weather and rains. Moss and giant trees all the things that make a fella want to come back but for the past two years things have went badly by this time of year.

Good to hear from you guys even though its not happy news.

Ard

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,124 Posts
Ard

I'm working with fire crews in Jacksonville. Drove water to engines along I-5, and saw a good portion of Ashland, all of Talent and Phoenix up in flames. Those last two towns, for the most part, did not survive.

Neither you nor anyone else will be flying into Medford soon. Fires also came in from the north and took out a good portion of Medford and Central Point. Shady Cove (where you and Nancy stayed a few years ago) is also on fire.

Not much sleep tonight. Stay home, stay safe.

Bob

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Vida and Blue River, on the McKenzie, east of Eugene are total losses. Everything gone according to reports. 814 people lived in Blue River, according to last census.

·
Dom
3,099 Posts
Just when I thought Chicago was bad... let's just all hope 2021 will be less dramatic

Don't mean to hijack this thread but since we are on this topic, do you guys think D will be fishable in two weeks?

I have my flight booked and getting anxious as I keep hearing the river is blown. Say it does clear up by then, would that effect the number of fish entering the system and would it be logical to think that all the high water push the fish that's already there back to Columbia? Skip the Mack's and focus on the mouth if so?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just when I thought Chicago was bad... let's just all hope 2021 will be less dramatic

Don't mean to hijack this thread but since we are on this topic, do you guys think D will be fishable in two weeks?

I have my flight booked and getting anxious as I keep hearing the river is blown. Say it does clear up by then, would that effect the number of fish entering the system and would it be logical to think that all the high water push the fish that's already there back to Columbia? Skip the Mack's and focus on the mouth if so?
I'm nt an expert, but I think it's not so much blown from high water, but from glacial activity on the White River, to my understanding. Once that settles down, it should be ok. You could also fish above the White.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sad to see the fires. Hoping that the Steamboat Inn on the N Umpqua survives. Special place for our family. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the inn. Praying for everyone in Oregon and Washington impacted by the fires.

Mark

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Sad to see the fires. Hoping that the Steamboat Inn on the N Umpqua survives. Special place for our family. My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the inn. Praying for everyone in Oregon and Washington impacted by the fires.

Mark
according to there IG post the Inn was still standing at 5pm tonight(9/9) but they didn't know what the night would bring, hoping for the best for all in OR, cameron

·
Registered
173 Posts
there are fires on every major watershed that crosses interstate 5 from the Oregon border to Portland and the coast is being evacuated too. Just stay home. The fish need a break.

·
Registered
917 Posts
the entire universe needs a break from the nonsense that this year has been
Umpqua.I've just heard Dogwood is gone, hatchery is gone, historic monument Frank and Jeannie Moore's house is gone. Sounds like Frank and Jeannie got out OK. Totally devastating of the Umpqua.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ard

I'm working with fire crews in Jacksonville. Drove water to engines along I-5, and saw a good portion of Ashland, all of Talent and Phoenix up in flames. Those last two towns, for the most part, did not survive.

Neither you nor anyone else will be flying into Medford soon. Fires also came in from the north and took out a good portion of Medford and Central Point. Shady Cove (where you and Nancy stayed a few years ago) is also on fire.

Not much sleep tonight. Stay home, stay safe.

Bob
Sad news Bob,

You're a good man and I'll be thinking of you and everyone else as you do what you can to battle against the fires and help people in need.

We're no strangers to fires here but the home here outside Wasilla has never been threatened. That would not mean that I can't empathize with every one of you there because I've seen what happens when fires explode.

The evening that Tim and I were hatching our plan these fires were just getting their start. The following day I called Steamboat Inn but got no answer which I thought was weird and so I made this thread out of curiosity. I had no idea that in the 36 hours previous to my posting that things had went so badly so quickly.

I'll heed the advice and content myself here in South Central AK. rather than try to wander.

I'll be thinking of all you folks down there every day. The loss of such beautiful places in both the natural beauty and the human suffering, is to say the least, sobering and tragic.

I don't know what else to say.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts